UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

My revamped blog-thoughts on the new TMNT cartoon

Jeff

Yeah, I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing, but with a new series always comes new merchandise and a shot in the arm for an old franchise. TMNT's been going strong for over 25 years now. I've yet to see the whole 2003 series- I dropped off just before they met Fugitoid, which makes me mad because that cartoon was a near perfect translation of the collected colored trades (mirage I think) I had growing up from Waldenbooks. Loved the Utroms/Triceratons- all of it.

I thought that the latest movie was a huge step in the right direction but the style of this new show is so off putting to me. I know that this show is targeted at an extremely young audience but there are shows that kids and their parents can enjoy together i.e. Batman TAS, Justice League, Phineas and Ferb and the recently cancelled Avengers EMH. Wouldn't you think that they would get more mileage out of the show by aiming for middle ground instead of just aiming for the middle.

I really enjoyed the movie as well- a 'where are they now' tale that made sense for each Turtle's personalities, the tension between Raph and Leo and then coming together in a crisis. Plus the soundtrack was excellent. I still can't believe it was released in a theater and paid off in the long run.

My only gripe was with the action figures. Ninja Turtles shouldn't have long slender legs like gazelles. They fit in nicely with my Marvel Legends, but I quickly got rid of them. The coloring was way off too- Raph was too dark in my opinion. But, I'm a sucker for any new turtle merch. When the 2003 series hit, I rushed out to the local Target and reliving my childhood ran down the aisle to get all four only to come up short with no Raph. It took me two weeks and an unnecessary snow storm expedition to finally track him down. I loved those figures, but they suffered the same problem as the '89 turtles: poor articulation. It wasn't until NECA released the original red bandanna turtles that I was in heaven. These figures look liked they jumped right out of the comic book page. The paint job is incredible and perfectly resembles the artwork. I only wish I had picked up the variant B&W set for $30 at a con not too long ago. :pinch:

I work in advertising and have access to a planogram room showcasing upcoming products- like new toylines. It's a giddy little thrill I get to walk through and see all this stuff before it shows up online. I was able to hold a final product of Donatello and I love it. The toys do look better than the animation style and the articulation is DCUC level quality. Neck, shoulders, wrists, arms, legs, feet, it's all accounted for. The extra bandanges and wrist tape on each was a concern at first but it works well on the figure to hide the joints. Each turtle is a different GOOD skin tone and are different heights. Mikey being the shortest. Unfortunately, I have to wait until August (with everyone else) to purchase them. Still on the fence with Splinter- from all the shots online I've seen he looks more like a cow than a rat.

I'm looking forward to it. I liked the last cartoon show though I stopped watching after a few seasons. I really liked the last movie and too. This show definitely looks like it's targeting a younger audience but hopefully it wont be too juvenile. I really just want a good new version of the turtles. The animation looks pretty slick and I like the way the boys are designed. Shredder looks a little off to me and Splinter looks way off but I'll give them a shot.

And I REALLY hope they bring Bebop and Rocksteady back in to the game. Oh man I miss those guys.

Not sure if I'll get the new toys or not. I bought the 2003 figures, the NECA comic figures, and the re-released 1989 figures but I don't know if I'll have the money and space for the 2012 and classics with all the minimates I'll be buying.

From a snippet I read about the series, bebop & rocksteady won't be appearing in the new nick toon. Sucks, but interested to see new characters. From the toy fair shots I saw, Leatherhead & Metal Head will be returning.

• 3 weeks later...

After checking out TRU's site to see if they had the new TMNT figs listed (they didn't) I did come across a 2012 TMNT retro calender. It looked pretty neat, not great- but I did an image search (to see the actual artwork per month) and and came across a neat discovery thru a blog......

Apparently, there was another CGI Turtle show in the works for the WB and a trailer was created to promote the show to executives. If you think the new TMNT toon is awful, you'll be glad they didn't go this route. Just awful. This show was later retooled and developed into the 2003 TMNT cartoon, luckily. Here is the youtube link to that show:

:yucky: :biggrin:

Edited by Jeff

The toys look good (i'll get the turtles, and that's it), but I dunno about the cartoon.

Pretty much my thoughts. I like the new designs and Mikey and Don weapons being able to turn into a kama and naginata (I've always had a soft spot for Japanese/martial arts based weapons due to a life time love of TMNT and martial arts). However the cartoon... I dunno. I liked the 2003 series the most due to how close it was to the source and how well they adapted Miyamoto Usagi, showing his world, allies and GETTING HIS FRICKING NAME RIGHT (Usagi Yojimbo is the name of the comic, not the character. It would be like calling the protagonist of "The Walking Dead" Walking Dead)!

I couldn't help myself... I was at TRU over the weekend looking for minimates when I walked by the new TMNT display. Long story short, I bought the four turtles, Shredder, a foot soldier and Kraang. I really like the designs for the turtles and the other characters are starting to grow on me. Anyone else buy these yet?