UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Hunt Contest Chat Thread!

TBT!

Godmagnus Im faster than You NANANA lol :)

Yeah, about that, Matt (and God Magnus): how the devil did you take that picture while traveling at such a speed? I do believe Timbo more than once said something about safety first! heh

Hmm. My submission is best viewed in a specific order and the Picasa album is sorting by date or some such. For those who care, either download the pictures then sort by name, or use this hand reference chart for viewing order. If you do so, a story unfolds. ;)

post-29-1255637041_thumb.jpg

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to mention that I liked the theme running through Cappy's photos, but now that I know there's a story I'm going to have to go through them again in the proper order. The very fast shot came out really nice. I tried to make a similar effect (to look like warp-speed stars) by waving flashlights during a long exposure, but I couldn't get it to turn out. Other favorites are the evil lair and the Bombermate manufacturing. The sports team shot looks a photo that would accompany a profile story in some business magazine. Excellent.

Maybe it's just me but this 'freeing' shot of God Magnus's looks a little suggestive. And I think I'm happy that one of the goth girl's heads is cropped out a bit.

Blacksun's 'flirting' shot is too damn cute. Translucent and glowing, an excellent combination. No officer, it's not a secret lair, it's just a non-descript little pink house. This at the asylum shot is currently high in the running for 'most disturbing shot of the contest'.

Wow. Well, I'm glad that TBT! went with the staggered approach this year, there's just so much to take in! I doubt I'm going to be able to say half as much as I'd like about all the fabulous pictures everyone's taken, but I'm going to try and do my best. I'll start with the first day's:

Ivan: You've certainly convinced me of two things: Firstly, that I want to learn a lot more about photography, and secondly, that I want a lot more lego. I suspect I may end up spending a very long time trying to figure out just how you did a lot of your pictures. I particularly liked your evil lair (I'm very disappointed that I didn't have time to do my own one) - the sharks are a fabulous touch - the disco picture, the posing on "Unique", the strange machinery of the preparation room (reminds me somewhat of the Ultron assembly sequence they kept using in the 90s Avengers cartoon), and of course, the various lighting effects you managed throughout.

Groundhog: I continue to love the idea for your mate. Great job getting him to cling to the box in the TRU pic, and very brave of you to set fire to the Staypuft so close to both SCIHM and what appears to be a lot of dry leaves! I also liked that one of the Henchmen is armed with a fish, and the Kang protest poem (nice to see someone else sneaking a Squirrel Girl mention into their entry! :D )

Dio: My favourites here were: the Battle Beast, the fact that Egon and one of the Henchmen seem more interested in looking at the camera than Spider-Doom, the posing in "Not a Cyclon", and the title on "Flirting".

Many thanks to everyone who's had something nice to say about my own pictures - I've been very worried about just what kind of reception they would receive. Ivan: Glad you recognised Conan the Librarian, I really wasn't too sure how many of the references people would get! I was wary of using my Frankenmate for the very reason you gave, but didn't manage to come up with a better plan in the time. Bob Harris: Yes, that is my "Very Fast" picture - it was originally meant to have a bit more to it (and tie in with "Taking the Photo"), but in the end I didn't have time to do a lot of what I wanted. Cappy: The Squirrel Girl sign was wishful thinking on my part as much as anything!

God Magnus, I love that you teamed up with your buddy once more and you're performing the same dance pose that my buddy and me! :D

BS, great, great, great! Your preperation pic already show what the set would look like, but I didn't expect such awesome pics as your Marshmallow Man, the lirbrary pic (!!) or that adorable flirting pic! GREAT!

That traveling fast pic is the best so far, Cappy! The idea itself occur twice I guess, but this one is brilliant! And I love how all your pics are connected and even tell a little story! (Psst, I don't know if I'm allowed to say this aloud,

but this is my favorite set so far

! :ohmy: )

Thoughts on the second day's pictures:

Geohound: That's some precarious-looking posing of your minimate in "Up High"! Things I particularly liked here were: the plastic being peeled back and Spymaster's look of triumph upon his release, the Kang protest (some great placards! :D ) and the evil lair plans. Best of all, I thought, was your Henchmen pic - some fabulous lighting creating a great atmosphere on that one. Your librarian looks worried. :confused:

Mattallica: Nice idea for the "Very Fast" picture! And the Staypuft looks - err, looked - great! Loved the alien abduction, the evil lair, and the Battle Beast; was rather worried by the "Size Doesn't Matter" (although not as worried as poor young James there). The waterfall looks pretty impressive - I have to wonder how much trouble you had keeping your poor mate from being swept away.

NorthRaider: Wow, there's a lot to comment on here! My favourite bits: the goth girl band, the preparation audition, the jail-break (I especially like that Psylocke and Gambit got straight to work after being released themselves), and the very sophisticated-looking Cylon Detection Module. On the other hand, Quicksilver in a disco wig is a disturbing sight, and I don't think I want to know where you got your ideas for the Art Asylum... ;) Other things that deserve a mention include "Flirting" (you must have some very understanding friends! :D ), your "Unique" (is that a real dog sneaking into the picture and giving Hawk of Fate a wary look?), the tiny Happy Meal, the incredible fountain (do make sure it's not really an invading Tripod), Tony trying to show off in the (converted microwave?) museum, and the Kang/Falcon 2010 banners.

Godmagnus Im faster than You NANANA lol :)

Yeah, about that, Matt (and God Magnus): how the devil did you take that picture while traveling at such a speed? I do believe Timbo more than once said something about safety first! heh

Oh, I was very safe. I taped him to the dash, turned the camera on, and then got on the freeway. One hand on the wheel, one hand on the camera. I used a stretch of highway that I knew was long, straight, and would be nearly deserted in the middle of the afternoon.

Cappy, your story, or should I say dream, was epic! Very cool pics, and awesome idea for tying them all in like that. My favorite is the bombermate building.

Ivan, your pics are all awe inspiring as always.

Godmagnus, nice pirate pic :thumbsup:

Matt, I noticed the resemblance in our Goth Girls too... separated at birth maybe? And I really hope that toilet was throughly cleaned prior to the photo shoot :sick:

NR, I love your getting ready and art Art Asylum pics, and very clever use of the microwave as a museum!

And thanks for the compliments on my pics guys, my little girl is such a cutie :) I must have taken 30 different shots for the library pic to get one that I was somewhat happy with. And Ivan, I\'m honored that you would say my Asylum pic is the most disturbing :D

The marshmallow pic was a tough one, only one chance to get it right, I got lucky with the lighting too.

BS

p.s. I just have to add, that so far, I\'ve been the only one brave enough to ask a TRU employee to take my picture while buying mates...

Edited by blacksun1520

Maybe it's just me but this 'freeing' shot of God Magnus's looks a little suggestive.

Holy crap, I thought so too! Help everyone, I'm catching Ivan's cooties!

That traveling fast pic is the best so far, Cappy! The idea itself occur twice I guess, but this one is brilliant! And I love how all your pics are connected and even tell a little story! (Psst, I don't know if I'm allowed to say this aloud,

but this is my favorite set so far

! :ohmy: )

No shame in that Bob. After clicking though Cappy' pics myself I am now thoroughly convinced that the guy is more cracked than the Liberty Bell :lol: But then what else could you expect from JP1000's storyrunner? Thar she blows!!!

Thanks again for all the compliments guys! Using our microwave as a museum and giving Pietro a cotton-ball afro were some of my more ingenious ideas :P And technically both the graffiti and the dog qualify as "unique" in my photo ;)

And yes, you too can campaign for next year's most wanted megahit Minimate pairing! Kang/Falcon for 2010!!!

post-2659-1255670193_thumb.jpg

Edit: Oh, and NR, why does the flirty girl has a German lanyard keychain thingy?

Huh, good question. I'll have to ask her sometime.

Most likely it's because those World Cup lanyard things were a pretty popular fad around here for a while, to the point that there was a Philippines version made... even though our country was never really big on football, let alone a part of the World Cup :ermm: And since at our school everybody is required to wear their ID cards around their necks... well, there it is.

Edited by NorthRaider

I like vbpanizzi's Battle Beast, but he needs a good Battle Beast type name. Anarchist Ant? There's a new contender for most disturbing shot, this smirk shall haunt the rest of my days. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again, right? :D I sense a new Internet meme a brewin', Pirate Lincoln yarr.

I was confused, there are far too many* women willing to be photographed with Maxcarnage's toys. But now I understand why. :) I love this lair photo. It looks great with the layout and all the accessories. Both the alien abduction and zombie shots are excellent too. Is that a Spider-Man band-aid?

*I didn't get a good response when I asked a Goth Girl my local Hot Topic to pose for me. I can't go back to that mall for a year.

Great shots guys.

Pirates! Woohoo, cool idea for a theme! I really love how you developed a little sub plot in there! The good, bad and ugly one is very impressive! And Ivan's right that smirk is disarming. And right on the next pic you have that your-talking-to-me expression in contrast! And great Arty Asylum - especially the mate in the front with T1000's head works brilliant! And yes, I want a Pirate Lincoln Shirt!!!

Max, this is an outstanding set! I mean, your good, bad ugly pic already is great and I love the expressions of your (triple) Hunt buddy! And the evil lair is impressive! But it's getting better and better! That TRU pic with your buddy pushing the basket: hilarious! The alien abduction is as gruel as the Zombie pic! Your interpretation of Art Asylum is also very unique! But please do somebody help me out with this one? Anyway great, great set!

(Oh no, it's going to be very hard to meet the great expectations! But however, I won, and I won't share! Muhahaha! :P )

... I think us Hunt contest entrants just exceeded the Multiverse's annual weirdness quota :blink:

Clicked through vbpanizzi and max's pics, and I'm pretty much seconding everything else Ivan and Bob just said. It's disorienting seeing so many nautical-themed photos in one sitting, and I've always been a fan of Picasso's Guernica. I also loved Mr. White with the bulging TRU basket, however I probably don't wanna know the story behind the Offer pic :huh: And after seeing the flame-encrusted elephant I only had one thing to say: "What."

Hey! A cameo from Dr. Thodt!

I have a fun idea: After the reveal of Bob's pics we ought to do some "People's Choice Awards" thing where we single out our favorite photos in a certain category. I'm already seeing some candidates for the Nightmare Fuel Award, the It Makes Sense In Context Award, the Crowning Moment of Silly Award, the Breaking The Law/Wanton Destruction Award, the Gratuitous Deadpool Publicity Award... :P

EDIT: After reading through my post, I realized this contest could garner a whole TV Tropes entry of its own :ohmy:

Edited by NorthRaider

Hey! A cameo from Dr. Thodt!

You're right! I knew that I've seen this guy before, but thought it was in a custom contest or something like that! Very cool.

And speaking of very cool: your idea is great NR! Could you please come up with a list of categories so we can easily proceed to the people's choice? Last year I came up with somekind of my own "Perfect Set" for the Hunt by choosing the best pic for each challange. That already went in that direction.

However, since this might be the last Hunt, we should keep the party alive as long as people are still enthusiastic. :D

Stupid me! Of course! Thanks Cappy! I was thinking about an English idiom or saying or something that I just don't know, but I didn't got that reference! :pinch:

In fact I missed the whole Godfather reference in that very challenge! :pinch: :pinch:

Stupid German dubbed movies!!! <_<

Bob's photos are up! :D

Egads, so many things to say...

No wonder Deadpool was being such a prissy smurf all throughout. "I feel like a piñata!" is such a priceless line, and you should never have gotten Wade to paint your picture. The do-it-yourself hang glider was cool, as was that chunk of TBT! history better left lost to the sands of time that you dug up for a challenge anyway :ohmy: The Goth Girl looks more like Brian Molko from Placebo.

Again Bob, why that outfit?! :lol:

Glad you like the pics! It was a lot of fun to take them.

And NR, regarding my choice of his outfit: If you have this little (random affront) around you all the time as an avatar, I saw this as my chance to finally pay him back. :P

Edited by Bob Harris

But... but... haven't you ever heard the saying "violence begets violence"?

Oh wait, then he'd still kick your ass anyway. i guess you're right. My bad :deadpool:

And speaking of very cool: your idea is great NR! Could you please come up with a list of categories so we can easily proceed to the people's choice?

Cast your votes, gentlemen!

Epic On A Stick Award

Breaking The Law/That Looks Illegal Award

Kill It With Fire/Wanton Destruction Award

Thanks For The Nightmares/Oh God My Eyes Award

It Makes Sense In Context/WTH Is That Award

How Long Did That Take You/Mad Photography Skills Award

Crowning Moment of Silly Award

Gratuitous Deadpool Publicity Award

Pimpin' Achievement Award

Evil Overlord Achievement Award

Winners(?) shall receive an honorary pile of Riot Spidey parts courtesy of eBay!

My minimate did get pretty high up there. I live in a mining town so we went up to one of the overlooks and shot down into one of the dozen pits around. That one wasn't even the deepest one we could have gone to, but the other one is closed off becuase every October some moron goes up there and invariably drives a car off of it. Well, October or Novemeber. So the city closes it down in September now.

And my librarian was worried because apparently 4 German exchange student came to her before I did about some scavenger hunt they were doing and she seemed frightened I was in league with them. No clue why.

Everybody's pics are awesome. Bob, you and I fought the same pirate except my Sam Jackson had a headband instead of a hat. Can't really tell in the picture, though. I need to get the better one I have up online sometime. Congrats on winning, Bob. You clearly kicked our collective butts. I want your free hugs shot as my desktop.