UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

MEGO is back!

So that means I might actually try to fill my Mego collection with official Megos of Sulu and Chekov (and whoever else from DC and Marvel and other lines) instead of these upstart Mego wannabe companies from the last few years.

21 hours ago, MrClean said:

So that means I might actually try to fill my Mego collection with official Megos of Sulu and Chekov (and whoever else from DC and Marvel and other lines) instead of these upstart Mego wannabe companies from the last few years.

To be fair, the new Mego is working with EMCE, so those "Official" Mego Sulu and Chekovs will be the exact same molds as the Mego Wannabe versions. 

As much as I'd love to have all my old Mego figures back, I'm not the same collector. Authenticity is pretty important to me so while the bridge crew of Star Trek would be fine, there's no way I could tolerate that original Mugatu or Gorn. Ironically, even if Mego were to correct them to make them more faithful to the source material, it'd feel like a cheat.

Mego will always have a special place in my collecting past. For now I get my multi-property crossover satisfaction with Minimates. (Planet of the Apes, please!) They'll have to announce something pretty huge to get my money. I get the impression Mezco's One:12 line and others like it are Mego for the 21st century at this point.

I think there's still a Mego market. It's small, but arguably bigger than Minimates. It's been proven to have a pretty decent niche market and the figures must be relatively cheap to produce, which is why people keep making them.

There's quite a few companies that make Mego stuff. ClassicTVToys has made a ton of stuff, including wrangling major licenses like DC and Adam West Batman. NECA does some Mego-esque figures, DST had some success, etc.

I think the new Mego has a shot. But I am starting to question their choice of licenses. I realize they only have what's available to them but right now most of what they have announced is old TV show licenses. Which isn't really going to set the marketplace on fire, no matter what kind of figures they make.

On 7/12/2018 at 12:42 PM, stack32 said:

Does anyone collect these that didn't have them originally? I don't see the appeal outside of nostalgia.

I have been off and on with these. I had some Megos when I was a kid, so they do hit my nostalgia button, but they are also far outside what I normally like in a collectible. I bought some of the DC ones Mattel made, though I eventually let my daughter have those. I have come close to buying some of Figures Toy Company's dolls, but I've yet to pull the trigger. They have so many that I want, but I just don't want to start buying anything new. With these ones... I mean, they've got the official Mego name going for them, but that's about it. I suspect these will be stalwarts in Target's clearance section before too long.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 3:35 PM, MisterPL said:

Figures like this, for example. These companies have been taking Mego-style figures to the next level for a while now. All Marty Abrams can offer at this point is a logo.

I guess what appeals to me is that I don't want or need figures that are the "next level". I look at Megos with the eyes of my 6 year old self, not the with the blurred vision of the 47 year old eyes I have today. 

On 7/21/2018 at 1:11 PM, Polarboy said:

I don't know if they reflect the original packaging from back in the day but those single carded figures have some seriously ugly graphics and I imagine most people who buy them would want to keep them moc.

Oh, they will be opened and displayed with my originals. I've bought vintage ones and they were opened as well. These are childhood loves, not investments. They were my first exposure to Super Hero toys and have a special place in my collection.

And, they are out. Went looking for Sulu and found Chekov today! Didn't even know Chekov was part of the release. He has Kirk and Spock pictured on his package instead of the Gorn and Roman. Lots of other licenses, but no Sulu, Action Jackson or Mirror Mirror 2-pack. 

• 1 month later...