UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Articulated Sentinel

rx78jj

After looking at the review on www.minimatescentral.com I wondered how feasable it would be to articulate it. Now I don't wanna step on any toes here and this is only me speaking my mind about an idea I had after looking at the pics, but it seems it would be fairly easy to create a mold of the Sentinel and make it outta wax or sturdy but still easy to work with material of your choosing and hack away at it. I am not implying the idea of selling or anything like that, but I'm looking at it from a customizer point of view. Now i know it is more involving than just making a mold and pouring in some wax, but it does seem like a nice little project that could in the end become something interesting. I've been thinking about it and the only problem i would have would be the ball joints. Again I don't mean to offend anybody or get anyone in trouble. I'm just looking at it from an outside point of view. I mean no disrespect.

I don't think you'd offend anyone with this thought. Its a thought that has been pondered before. We've toyed with the thought that the figures are already articulated but just need the glue to be broken, as have we toyed with making our own molds of them. What it all ultimately boils down to is cost. The statues cost too much for most of us to yank at the arms and legs trying to work free the arms (assuming they even are articulated to begin with), nor do most of us want to ruin the statues in the mold making process.

Im 99% they arent articulated, I do think the arms and possibly legs are sepeartae pices glued on but are not articulated at the joints etc.

The nearest anyone has come to anything is either Clonemes' Woodmate or Mister Es Maximate.

I dont think you'll offend anyone with this its just a custom, its if you decided to mass produce them that people would get annoyed.

I phoned them up, and asked if they had them in stock. They did. Then I said could I pay for it over the phone and you send it out to me and they said no, I'd have to go on the main website for that.

And welcome O.B!

At the San Diego Con, myself, Nervous and TBT had a chance to lookover or study the maximates. We hadn't figured out if they were protos or the actual piece, but on the sentinel it looks like the pieces are glued together, like as if the joints are glued into position. However, the Galactus looks like the arms and legs are all one solid piece.

I haven't bought them yet so other than that I don't know :(:(:(

You would run an almost sure chance of breaking it. Defenitly if it's all one piece and a very high chance if it's glued together. That's the only reason I would buy one, is if I knew I could easily articulate it. But as it stands, I just don't have the funds to try it myself first.

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't these resin? If so, I don't care how thin the glue is, if you yank on the arms/legs you're going to break it.

A better choice would be to make a mold and cast new pieces THEN articulate it as needed.

<---still pissed that these weren't rotocast. Much cheaper and they'd be articulated.

That's it. I'm gonna buy one. And when I get it, I'm gonna be a little disapointed and then I'm gonna try and do it.

Correct. However preposed resin ($$$) vs preposed rotocast ($) is a no brainer.

There's two ways to look at it from a retail perspective.

AA sells 50 resin figures at $50 each. $2500 in sales, right? Factor in the cost of resin, manufacturing, packaging and shipping from china and I'd estimate AA is making around $750. (I used $50 for a couple of reasons - distributors get a discount from Diamond based on the quantity of their orders which allows them to mark up the product to the final retail price. Also, $50 is a nice round figure that's easy for people to understand. :D) The advantage to making them in resin is AA already has the capability to manufacture products in resin, since they make other statues already.

The other scenario is to make the figures in rotocast. To date, I don't know of any rotocast products from AA, so they'd either need to farm it out to a different manufacturer or purchase equiptment and materials themselves - so their manufacturing costs would/could be higher. That said, on with the scenario.

AA sells 200 figures at $25 each. 200 x $25 = $5000. When you factor the increased manufacturing costs, distribution, etc, AA would make approximately $1000. The advantage here is, they're moving more product at a lower price point and making up the loss in margin $ due to increased sales. The increased manufacturing costs are something they'd only incur once - once the equiptment is purchased or the contract with a different manufacturer is signed, the margins move back up on the product as well.

On the 2nd wave (I'm assuming they'd be successful enough to warrant a 2nd wave for the sake of the example - this could also be a DC wave for all intents and purposes.) AA sells the same 200 figures (since they're DC related, they're able to keep sales consistent) at $25.00 each. Again, 200 x $25 = $5000. However, like I said, their production costs are lower and this time, instead of $1000, they make $1500 in revenue.

See how that works? Rotocast = good, resin = bad.

They couldn't be made out of plastic because of the license. It would have been way better to be rotocast, but couldn't happen. Still think that they are too pricey and could have been cheaper, having DST have less profit, but then again many things get factored in who knows how much they make on these.

Besides many of us not being able to get these, retailers that provide us with the goods have taken a major hit. This is the type of stuff that scares them off and hence later don't order what we want.