UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DRS STOPMOTIONS

Hey Guys,I have been making minimate stopmotions for quite some time now,and have recently decided I wanted to take it a step further with effects,so i bought adobe after effects cs4,and made 1 minimate stopmotion too it,And I was wondering if you guys/girls could help me out with some flaws i made.So here's the video,oh and ps i know theres text where the cylon shoots the laser out of his eye

Edited by darkredshdow

What the toaster said is a good point. I know it's difficult, but that's what it takes. And I think everything happens a little to fast. It's hard to actually realize what's happening. After watching it for the first time I thought "where's the Cylon shooting laser out of his eyes?"

Other than that, pretty cool! I relly like it. Now you need cool sound effects, too! :geek:

Thanks guys!I was actully planning on buying a clip on desk tripod from amazon for quite some time,And am going to buy it tonight,Also I do plan on expanding the video with audio and making my new videos slower when the tripod arrives,and for the time,it took around 1 hour to create,15 minutes to put pictures of my comp and make the pre effect video on wmv,and 2 hours for the editing,but that's only because in that time I was learning how to use adobe after effects,so about 3hours and 15 mins

• 2 months later...

Rule 1 in stop motion is don't touch the camera. Sometimes this means shootIng your scenes out of sequence and editing them into the proper sequence. It means a little more post production work but it will be worth it. Making a simple storyboard will help keep things in order while editing.

After Effects is kind of a bitch to get the hang of straight away. I spent four years working the sucker in college and sometimes I still don't think I have a clue what I'm doing.

But some cool stuff here. I really like the second one, especially the backdrop with the hole in the wall. For whatever reason I find that to be a great touch to it.

Just keep plugging away at it. You'll get where you want to be, eventually.

I don't necessarily believe that, I just had a professor who said it all the damn time.

Very cool! I second what the guys said about a tripod -- a lot of the magic of moving toys goes away when the camera moves, too. It looks less like a movie and more like a series of photographs that kind of match up. I have a teeny-tiny tripod for my camera, it's only 4 inches high, so I can put the camera right on the desk. It was like $10 at OfficeMax. But I use that for my flip video camera, and not for stop-motion -- I wouldn't even try the latter! The fact that you had the patience to do this at all is amazing.

But yeah, storyboards are very helpful if you want to shoot scenes out of order and re-cut them. I'll see if I can post the storyboards for the pirate episode our animator did...

Edited by Zach Oat

• 1 month later...

Very cool! I second what the guys said about a tripod -- a lot of the magic of moving toys goes away when the camera moves, too. It looks less like a movie and more like a series of photographs that kind of match up. I have a teeny-tiny tripod for my camera, it's only 4 inches high, so I can put the camera right on the desk. It was like $10 at OfficeMax. But I use that for my flip video camera, and not for stop-motion -- I wouldn't even try the latter! The fact that you had the patience to do this at all is amazing.

But yeah, storyboards are very helpful if you want to shoot scenes out of order and re-cut them. I'll see if I can post the storyboards for the pirate episode our animator did...

Thanks Zach!I just bought a new camera and a mini tri pod with it.I have just learnt the glory of animation and have been working on again off again on a new stopmotion.