UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Part Database?

Heli

Is there a database anywhere that breaks down Minimates, and is thus searchable by their parts? For example, if I was looking for all the Minimates with African American heads or something.

Even as I ask, I realize this would be a titanic amount of work, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that nobody's been quite that obsessive, but, new as I am to minifig collecting, I thought about trying some easy-peasy parts swap customs, and was wondering if there was someplace I could search a listing like that.

Edited by Heli

Unless Ivan has some hidden search engine at the Minimate Database, I don't believe that such a thing exists.

However, his site does break down parts by type:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/accTypes.php?i=8

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/accTypes.php?i=7

He's done more there than I think could be reasonably expected by anyone else. In fact, though I'm sure that rough Star Wars or LEGO equivalents exist, he has provided the most comprehensive toy database that I'm personally familiar with.

Well for one thing, WE are a database :P Just post in the customs forum and everyone will brainstorm our collective knowledge of Minimates. Some black heads: Black Panther, Zombie Black Panther, Sisko, Sisko variant, Mark II War Machine, James Rhodes, Luke Cage, modern Luke Cage, Storm, GSXM Storm, Ultimate Storm, GB1 Winston, GB2 Winston (they really are different heads).

Well for one thing, WE are a database.

You weren't kidding! You guys are impressive.

Also, I didn't realize the Minimate Database was searchable by parts like that. I agree that it's an amazing resource, and a large part of why I got back into Minimates; once I saw all the cool stuff Ivan has archived, I was amazed. I know collectors of other lines wish they had a resource that encyclopedic.

The AA head idea was because I got a classic BSG set and was thinking of getting a second to swap Apollo and Starbuck's heads, and then I realized I could get a different head and hands and make Adama into Tigh and have a spare flight suit body to make Jolly. Muffit, sadly, would get the shaft. I guess I could paint him black and make him a Terror Dog puppy. That said, any "white guy with bushy mustache" heads come to mind for Jolly?

I've wondered about adding a tagging system so users (you guys) could add all that meta data for me. :) It would be a mammoth task to go through all 800 Minimates by myself and indicate what figures have battle damage, watches, glasses, rolled up sleeves, male pattern baldness, etc. Unfortunately, having a user based system would take some logistics I'm not prepared for right now. I've added it to the wishlist.

Now that I think about it I've started this in a limited fashion already. If you search for the recent manufacture date codes (090925KK & 090918KK) you get back a list of figures with that code. It's still in development, but I hope to have that data easily available.

Along similar lines, I've often thought about changing 'accessories' to 'parts'. Cataloging all the boot-cuffs and hairpieces and holsters and capes etc. that I used to consider part of the figure. These thoughts usually come about when I'm preparing an update and trying to decide whether something is an accessory or not. It used to be easy, "everything in the tray is an accessory". But that rule no longer made sense when various weapons were attached to the figure (think Assault Armor Punisher). Cataloging these would be a bigger undertaking than the meta data though, so I really don't see it happening soon.

(And I still want to add a ranking system. And charts. And that freakin' ComicsPRO blank. And stromboli. Definitely needs more stromboli.)

"Minimate website" and "User-based system" got me thinking about the Multiverse wiki again. :ermm: I really need more free time to fix that thing.

And stromboli. Definitely needs more stromboli.)

Who in their right mind yearns for a volcanic island in Italy? Or are you referring to the man-eating whale? :confused:

EDIT: Ooooooh, that stromboli! :P

I had toyed with the notion of doing an actual part database, not just accessories, jackets, etc, but right down to the heads, torsos, arms, legs, etc. It was to be for the purpose of selling a lot of excess parts I had lying around, so people could just say "lemme get [part name/number]" instead of "lemme get Marvel wave 15 Ghost Rider's left ankle"

But then I remembered how unique a lot of the details were, which required a great deal of sub-categories. By the end of my early attempts, I'd end up with part numbers that were many digits and letters long. On top of that, I don't know how official my own classifications would be compared to how Ivan, Danny, or anyone else would classify them, let alone how DST/AA might classify them.