UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

PSP Go

neolego

I'm a big handheld gaming fan, always have been. I've owned every GameBoy (except Pocket) and a GameGear. I've owned the original DS, the DSlite, and currently a black DSi. I have also owned 2 PSP systems, the original, and the 2000. So, I've been watching the PSP Go with mixed feelings and I thought it would be a good topic of discussion for any handheld gamers.

I have to say first that I love the PSP Go. The design is awesome. I was actually hoping for Nintendo releasing a new GameBoy with a sliding screen just like this. While I love my DS, two screens is just too much. There have been few times that it's really been a benefit (Warioware, Metroid, Nintendogs, etc), but if you look at the best games (Castlevania, Zelda, New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, Advance Wars, etc) you will find that they all use the second screen but ultimatly it's pointless. Anyway, back on target, I love the sliding screen and the design of the PSP Go. I also love the D-Pad on the PSP Go.

What I don't like is the price. $250 for basically the same thing they have now, and we've been told it's actually cheaper to make!?!?! What's the advantage.......See above: it looks cool. Sure, they've added flash memory, but they've also taken away the UMD drive (thank God!). There is no better processor, no better battery life, no touchscreen....Honestly, it's the same system redesigned. They should take a page from Nintendo here. They released the DSi at $170 where the DSlite still sits at $130. You lost the GBA function, but gained memory. Now, the PSP is launching the Go at $250 while a Standard PSP is $170.....that's an $80 difference!!!! Give me a break.

So, the outlook right now? I say wait. I want a PSP Go and plan to get one. If they would have released the Go for $199.99 at launch I would probably already have mine pre-ordered. But for $80 more than basically the SAME thing, it's just not worth it. Much like the PS3, sales will suffer and next year prices will drop.

So, what do you guys thing, PSP Go or PSP NoGo??

neo

Personal opinion is that this one is a lemon.

There is a list of issues from not being able to use UMD's to not being able to replace the battery yourself ( or carry spares for long flights etc.) that do their best to make it unatractive to existing PSP owners. Sure it's smaller and prettier but $50 less than a 120gb PS3 pretty? I dont think so!

The main thing that annoys me with the PSP is simply the lack of titles being released, it's like a frikin desert out there in terms of new releases. I know there are supposed to be things coming like MBP and MGS but what was the last decent PSP release?

T.