UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 29 Pictures

Yeah, there's definitely photoshop work on the Minimate shots. There's a post on the AA blog that explains the process a bit. Here's a snippit:

1. All Minimates that you see in the magazines and on the boxes and all over the internet are pre-production pieces and paint masters. The normally have their joints painted shut and are bumpy to the touch as well as occasionally looking like they were dragged behind a bus before they arrive with us designers.

2. After photographing, I need to Photoshop all the paint that is missing from posing since sometimes it flakes and chips off once we move the painted-closed joints. This can sometimes take hours depending on how bad they are. I also need to smooth out the look of the paint, this is done with a mask and a filter (covered in the 200 level class).

It was really apparent in the image Reddog posted of the second Dark Avengers set. Here are some full size crops for reference.

This one looks to be unmodified:

untouched.jpg

This one has some minor modification:

minor.jpg

This looks like a complete redo:

complete.jpg

I'd love to see how hammered the Minimates look in the original shots. :)

funny as anyone who has done a reasonable amount of customising knows the flakey paint issue and how to get around it.

If you ask me whoever creates their paintmaster proto's needs to learn to use better sealent or the guys taking the photo's need to be a little more carefull with their photoshoots!

;)

T.

Glad i'm not the only one who noticed Sentry's eyes. :)

And is it just me, or does anyone else really not like Karla's face?? I look at her TRU pack and just smile and say "yeah, that's her," but i frown when i see her DA pick. The eyes look too far apart, and if they are going to give eyes (like they should, and should have done for Carol) then at least give pupils!! It's a minor niggle, sure, but it just kills the figure in my eyes if her face doesn't scream "I am Karla Sofen. I took the

dead chic's

place. I

killed my mother

and am a Dark Avenger. Fear me" That is Karla Sofen to me; not this.

And is it just me, or does anyone else really not like Karla's face?? I look at her TRU pack and just smile and say "yeah, that's her," but i frown when i see her DA pick. The eyes look too far apart, and if they are going to give eyes (like they should, and should have done for Carol) then at least give pupils!! It's a minor niggle, sure, but it just kills the figure in my eyes if her face doesn't scream "I am Karla Sofen. I took the

dead chic's

place. I

killed my mother

and am a Dark Avenger. Fear me" That is Karla Sofen to me; not this.

I concur. (Damn, i can't believe i just said "concur.") Same with Carol Danver's eyes, and face in general, Karla's face looks really off from the comics. The good news is that it is a photoshopped version. And honestly, I also agree that Ms. Marvel (carol) should have pupils.

Edited by Mr.Wasabihead2