UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC vs. Marvel

Jatta Pake

I think I'm switching my fandom over to DC. It doesn't have anything to do with Minimates per se, it's just that all the DC stories I've read so far have been fantastic. Now granted, my exposure to DC is very limited compared to Marvel, but I really dig the DC universe.

Marvel became incomprehensible to me in the 90's. I've got the entire collections of Avengers, Fantastic Four, X-Men and Spider-Man on DVD and CD. And I've been slowly reading through the issues. But Marvel just falls apart in the 90's. Too many crossovers and dumb seasonal 'event' plots really kill the Marvel Universe for me. Can anyone follow the mutant story lines through the 90's?

Now contrast that with the JLA and Batman. DC really came alive in the late 90's. I just can't get enough.

I just wish I could get the DC collections on DVD.

For those interested, I recently picked up the JLA: Syndicate Rules trade paperback. It's about the evil counterparts to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Flash, circa 1997ish. Absolutely first rate. Someone needs to make a custom Ultraman, Superwoman, Owlman, Power Ring, and Johnny Quick Minimates. Maybe I will!

Anyone else with thoughts on DC vs. Marvel? Who do you like better?

Well, for all time, I'm a big Marvel fan! I have the Spider-Man CD-ROM disks, and the stories up untill the "Clone Saga" are pretty good, but the best Spidey stories are from the 70's! But, right now, Marvel is Complete Junk, 80% of it isn't even worth touching, let alone reading. The only good Marvel stories are the ones under the "Ultimate" imprint, and evem those can't hold a candle to DC as of late!

Bottom Line: DC really kicks Marvel's ass right now!

I used to always a Marvel fan... Now I'm a DC reader hardcore.

The only books that I pick up from the House of M are Ultimates, Ultimate FF, NextWave, X-Factor, Runaways and Cable & Deadpool. DC-wise, I'm reading AS Superman, JLA Classified, JSA Classified, Superman/Batman, Justice, Supergirl, Legion, Random Superman & Batman books... Can't wait for the new JLA book.

I don't know what's gotten me to switch. I chalk alot of it up to JLU. That 'toon really opened my eyes to the DCUniverse. I really like the fact that they've got the really powerful, god-like characters. That's what comics should be... Fun, powerful & interesting...

I was a huge Marvel fan but stopped buying everything bar Cable & Deadpool following the mess that was House Of M (Did you read the tie-ins? They didnt even tie in!)

DC is doing some seriously good work, and personally I put it down to a good unified editorial vision. Over in Marvel land a character can die in one book, then turn up months later in another like nothing had happened. DC seem to all be on the same page and have some concrete plans about the future.

That and 52 is great.

As a kid you aren't worried about companies, you're interested in the characters and arguably not even about comics. Most of my childhood favourites had cartoon/tv shows.

I had posters of Batman and Wonder Woman on my walls as a kid, and later I enjoyed Spider-man and his Amazing Friends.

I remember most of my comics buying were of licensed properties like Transformers and Zoids. Zoids actually had a Spidey backup story with Spidey realising the symbiote suit was a bad influence on him, before it bonded with Eddie Brock.

It wasn't until Dreamwave resurrected the Transformers in 2001ish that I started buying comics again. And because I missed a lot I tend to buy TPBs of stories that I've heard of, from both companies. On the DC side Hush, War Games, Fugitive, the arc where Gotham is cut off from everyone else.

On the Marvel side Astonishing X-Men, Ultimate X-Men, the New Avengers are some of the more recent.

Can't say I like one company over the other, to be honest.

I grew up loving Marvel and wishing that they would buy out DC so that they could actually do some cool stuff with the characters.

Nowadays, Marvel still has first place for me... but I am coming to appreciate DC a lot more. I don't know if I will ever actually switch over, because Marvel will always have my childhood hero; the super powered man that I always longed to be - Spiderman. That will always make the Marvel Universe special to me. But then, my loyalties were never really to a company per se; it was always more to the characters.

DC has been doing great things with their characters recently. And while I was once a Marvel-only guy, I have been finding myself picking up more and more DC stories, simply because they truly are doing a great job over there.

I was a huge Marvel fan and it still has my heart, but I'm not sure how long I can take the beating of poor decisions. In the past I collected DC sparsely but stopped for some time and now have gone back because of Marvel's(Joe Q's) direction.

DC is doing some seriously good work, and personally I put it down to a good unified editorial vision. Over in Marvel land a character can die in one book, then turn up months later in another like nothing had happened. DC seem to all be on the same page and have some concrete plans about the future.

That and 52 is great.

Fully agree with you man.

Comics dominance goes in cycles and flip flops between the big two in decades but Marvel has seriously has done nothing which seems like forever. Marvel makes decisions for the sake of making them which just hurts the product.

I like DC and feel they continue to capture the "old-school" style of story telling that I enjoy. However, until the Incredible Hulk or New Avengers become DC properties, I will always say, "make mine Marvel".

I am with Donny B. The marvel characters are the ones I grew up loving, so I tend to stick with marvel. When I am reading a Spider-Man comic, and suddenly the Thing charges in to help, it just warms my heart. I don't get that same feeling when I am reading Flash and Superman makes an appearance. I think the stories in DC have been excellent in the last few years, but they just don't make me feel the same way as marvel comics.

I definitely think that DC is more organized and has a clear plan for the future. Marvel just kind of makes stuff up as they go along. I wish marvel could be more like DC in this way.

So no-one else separates the characters from the companies?

I've always loved Spider-man, Hulk, Wonder Woman and Batman because of who they are and what they stand for not exclusively looking at their companies. Overall though I've always been Marvel.

So no-one else separates the characters from the companies?

It's not so much the companies as it is the Universe in which the characters reside. At one point, Marvel made sure their Universe remained coherent, understandable, and structured. But it just seems like in the 90s, the Marvel Universe fell apart. Too many writers without knowledge or care of continuity.

DC has similar problems, but they've worked very hard to keep the DC Universe coherent. Many said pre-Crisis DC was confusing, but compared to current Marvel it's a cake-walk.

What ever happened to aging characters? Peter Parker grew up from the 1960s through the 1980s. Now I understand the sliding time-scale, but couldn't Marvel move Peter in a new, more mature direction? We've seen the various Robins from DC grow up. And look at Wally West. Make Peter Parker become a dad. Give him a mid-life crisis. Just please stop the Marvel writers who want to write him as a high school kid again.

I know Superboy-Prime punching the DC Universe messed a lot of things up, but at least it's an explanation! Marvel never has any lasting continuity changes, and the characters seem to always forget about the last big foe. New writer, new problems. I think that's why a lot of fans look back to the Chris Clairmont days. I'm not a big fan, but the story arcs lasted.

So, it's not that I'm bashing one company or the other. The writers and bosses change anyways. But I'd like to see Marvel return to its roots.