UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BSG Prototype Stolen @ SDCC

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/...x.cgi?column=13

It seems that last week's San Diego Comic Con was a boom year... for thieves.

Neal Adams lost one of his signature series Superman with original art, and a Green Lantern with original art, and a barbarian sculpture from his son.

A Battlestar Galactica prototype model ship from Art Asylum.

Personal items from Stan Sakai.

And an unrestored copy of Green Lantern 1

Im sure if anyone knows the location of that piece, AA would like to hear about it

I'm 99% certain this news is in fact incorrect, it was the Cylon that was nicked.

AA had them ( the ship and the cylon) on display on the corner of their booth and on Sat(I think?) I was talking to Adam and he said yeah somebody stole it!!

T.

Good luck selling that Green Lantern #1 or try submitting it to be cgc! That's one hot item. :P

You probably can't ever puclically sell another GL #1 Without having it strictly verified and checked as the possible stolen copy.

Let's toughen up security. Or at least hire someone just for it, rather than think staff will be focused and undistracted enough to promote and guard simultaniously. Plus, staff probably did steal or had involvement with it. No doubt a group of folks working as distractors and pocketers. Theif 101

Best to get 3rd party security companies. People who don't give a shit about comics, but know how to catch/eye a pickpocket or group theives.

I don't know HAR, have you been to SDCC? Seems for the most part, security is less than lax to be honest :D I know several times I had to show them my badge going into events or the hall. Kind of weird how they got Cylon without anyone noticing, since it seemed to be in a glassed case. But I really didn't pay attention to the other side of the display. I'll post some pics of the display when I dig them out of the luggage ;)

I don't know HAR, have you been to SDCC? Seems for the most part, security is less than lax to be honest :D I know several times I had to show them my badge going into events or the hall. Kind of weird how they got Cylon without anyone noticing, since it seemed to be in a glassed case. But I really didn't pay attention to the other side of the display. I'll post some pics of the display when I dig them out of the luggage ;)

Nope it wasn't in a display case, it was just standing on a pillar on the corner of the AA booth and to be honest I can kind of see why it went, AA had few staff an it wasn't exactly in an easy to watch position.

Having said that it's pretty sad that someone just took it and If anyone hears of someone trying to sell a Chromed Cylon bust that they should let AA know!!!

T.

Can't say as I'm really suprised. Security was pretty lax last year in Chicago as well. Since SDCC is the largest con of the year, I'm suprised it took this long for the thieves to start hitting 'em hard.

In Chicago I could have easily walked off with a handfull of AA prototype 'mates, a bunch of the Joyride BSG stuff, and a number of original art pages had I been a dishonest sort of con goer.

It's too bad, but honestly, not suprising.

I was with Timbo when Adam said the Cylon head was stolen. The BSG ship was there because Cloneme knocked it over when he sat down and bumped it. :)

It was the bust!

I ALMOST knocked it over, I knocked over the plastic sign thing(that was being used improperly), the BSG was fine. Sheesh!!!

Man, that sucks. It's unfortunate that human nature always has to rear it's ugly head. Oh, and Shane, I was wondering how you paid for that sweet honeymoon :P Nervous, are you still in contact with your fellow WH Marine comrades? Might be nice to have tighter security for Chicago and next years con. Of course you won't be able to be with Slave Princess Leia again, but that could be a good thing :lol:

hey don, still have a few of the old guard on call if i need them, and one or two secret service cats as well. i volunteer to handcuff the minimate briefcase to my arm during transport...you could be on the rooftops with all your old buds too

Guess I'll have to up my walks with Max to 3 times a day starting tomorrow. Sadly, I lost track of most of my comrades from The Battalion. Last time I saw my old AG I was getting out and he was heading off to Pre-Ranger. Blew my mind, since he was basically in the slot I would have had, if not for a busted ankle :angry: On a lighter note, I guess we can ask Adam if he needs extra security next year ;)

• 2 months later...

There were four prototypes made and delivered to Art Asylum and Diamond Select.

The first primered molding prototype:

BSGwork11thm.jpg

A second casting with a quick last second paint job for a trade show:

BSGwork23thm.jpg

A third and fouth prototype used for advertising and factory paint prototyping:

BSGfinal01thm.jpg

I heard one was 'lost' and believe it to be either the first quick painted one, or one of the final paint masters.

More pics of the paint prototypes can be found here:

http://thomasmodels.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=364

Those are some great pics of the resin Galactica. I had this on preorder for awhile, but decided to give it up. I suspect sometime down the line we'll see a lighted version from Master Replicas or QmX.

And, stealing sucks.