UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Customs by Mr. E

This was one of the threads that I managed to save from the AA forums before they vanished. I haven't seen Mr. E around for a long time but I thought people would like to see his work.

Here's my first custom Minimate. I was a bit slow catching on to the Minimate bandwagon, please forgive me. ;) Anyway, when I first learned of the Maximates it was before the pics of Wolvie were released. At that time I figured there was a slim chance they would be released, and if they were they would be over my $20 budget. So I set out to make my own.

I used some artistic liscense, most notably the silver face rather than pink. I just like it better that way.

I basically copied every piece of Iron Man. He is comprised mostly of styrofoam coated in epoxy. He didn't turn out as smooth as I had hoped, but this was my first scratch build full action figure, so I'm happy with him.

Here's some pics:

Front. Back. Helmet off.

MMSvsmini.JPG

Closeup of above pic of the Sentinel puttin in work on Wolverine and Cyclops. Also picured is his only accessory, the hand tentacle thingy from the Marvel Legends Sentinel. It pops in and out like a real toy, not all crappy like you might expect.

Thanks for looking guys, hope you enjoy him.

Damn, you guys really know how to make a guy feel welcome around here. Thanks for all the compliments, I'm glad you all get a kick out of it.

I was afraid that my previous post was a bit long winded, but since there seems to be much interest I'll break it down for you in more detail.

I'm no math whiz, so making everything to the right scale was kind of a pain. I actually started with the head, and by the time I finished everything, including paint, I realized the head was way too small. I made the new bigger one, and it turned out much better.

I must warn you this is so simple, I hope it doesn't kill the "magic" for you. I basically just looked at my minimates and every angle of every piece, and looked for the best crap lying around to duplicate it on a larger scale.

The recipe:

1 fatty pen

1 drinking straw

6 pegs that I think were extra from building a desk or the entertainment center or something, but I guess a dowel would work.

2 spray paint can caps of different sizes

5 Xevoz joints

1 board of that styrofoam board stuff. I dunno what it's called, but its like styrofoam coated with posterboard.

A whole bunch of Devcon 2 part epoxy

If you had to go out and buy all of this stuff I'd guess you could make it for about $15. The only thing I had to go out and buy was the epoxy and paint, everything else was lying around my workshop.

Here's a pic of him broken apart.

The Xevoz joints went where the normal Minimates ball sockets go; neck, shoulder, and hips.

The furniture peg thingies were used for the elbow pin, and the pegs for the wrists and ankles, and the drinking straws are the sheaths they fit in.

The fatty pen was used for the crotch peg that goes into the torso, and for the pins in the knees.

The paint can caps were used for the head and helmet.

Everything else is the styrofoam board layered up and coated in epoxy, which is a great combination just because the epoxy makes it super durable but still light, like a toy should be.

I just got home from the bar and i'm kinda tired, but hopefully that gives you a better idea of what went into it. If not, I'm always willing to help.

OK to answer a few of the other questions:

-No I don't have any plans to make a Galactus. I'm more of an X-Men guy.

There are a lot of talented people on this board, maybe the Sentinel will inspire someone to have a crack at Galactus.

-Yes I have done other customs. That's my hobby. Everything from full size cars, to model cars, to Transformers and GI Joes, even lamps and soap dispensers... you name it! I don't know if there is anything more gratifying than having an idea and then making it with your own hands, then to see the end result, as well as other peoples reaction. Maybe I'll get my crap together and put up a website with some of this stuff.

BTW, you guys with the printer decals have really my mind working, great idea!

-The Sentinel took me a little over a month. I started him about half way through September. Then when I saw Fujis contest I thought, "Oh crap, better hurry!". I didn't spend every day on him or anything, just in my free time did a little work here and there.

OK that's enough for now. Again, thanks for the kind words. I'm gonna go pass out now.

WOOHOO! Thanks to Slipperyduckie for the nomination.

On that note I'd like to share my two newest customs, Colossus and Juggernaut. At first I just wanted a bigger Juggernaut, then I saw this LOTR set on sale for $5 and thought it would make good customizing fodder. So the mean Orc guy turned into Juggernaut, which left me with the three other guys to do something with.

Colossus is one of my favorite X-Men, but I'm just too poor to buy one, so I used the Gandalf body to make one. Here are the results:

MMJCCLASH.JPG

Here's a pic comparing the size to the 2" mates.

Finally, an extremly blurry pic of them broken down to show each piece. I think my camera finally died tonight. :angry:

The changes I wanted to make to Juggernaut besides the size were the arm bands, and the chest piece, I just wanted him to be beefier.

I basically made Colossus the same except for the belt and the arm bands.

I still need to work on painting faces, but I'm still happy with the way the came out.

*edit *Camera works again! I updated the pic of them broken down for those who care.

Someone arrived at my doorstep today :wub: :

MMSE.JPG

Thanks Fujis! And thanks to all who voted.

Well I started a new MM project but I'm kinda stuck. I was playing with the idea of making Ult GG into a ninja turtle. I painted on the bandana and liked it so much I made a shell. Then I picked up a dammaged set of MegaBloks for a buck which had the weapons. I also used a Hulk MM just for the heck of it: MMNTF.JPG

MMNTB.JPG

Obviously they're no where near finished. I started off thinking of using Thing hands with a little work since they have the 3 fingers, but I'm not really sure if I like them, or if I should just sculpt something out of the normal hands like i did with the feet.

It would be easier to just sculpt hands rather than tracking down 3 more sets of Thing hands.

Also I'm not sure if I want to make all four turtles either because I would want to use a Classic GG, Martian Manhunter, and the Manhunter seems hard to find loose and inexpensive. And I'd have to pick up some Elektra sais.

I dunno, what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ That's what I suggested when this was first posted on the AA forums. Unfortunately due to the rare nature of Nightcrawler making 4 ninja turtles with his hands could be an expensive undertaking. Not to mention the fact that NC's feet would work as well...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

cccccccccccooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll i want THAT (STICKS LIP OUT)

EDIT* is he the same MR.E from dragonballtoys.com

Sorry to bump this old topic, but I am the Mr. E from DBT and was wondering who you are on there?

Welcome, and by all means bump this, as it is one of the best customs ever!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...