UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Heroes: Villains (Season 2&3 Spoilers)

Trekker 42

Well, here we are. There are two days and 30 mintes until Heroes Season Three: Villains. Finally after a long and tedious wait due to thos #&@$%ing writers, we can see the continuing adventures of Claire Bennet, Mohinder Suresh, Peter Petrelli and the rest.

To get us in the heroing mood, here's a recap of season two's ending:

Hiro Nakamura, Matt Parkman, and Nathan Petrelli travel to Odessa, Texas to stop Adam Monroe, an immortal, and the misguided and misinformed Peter Petrelli from releasing a particularly malignant strain of the deadly Shanti virus which causes super poweere people to lose their powers and could kill them. as Adam and Peter close in on the virus's location, Hiro catches up with them and Peter takes him down and rips off the door of the vault where the virus is kept. Adam's true intentions are revealed to Hiro; he wanted to be one of the last survivors of the virus (Which he wanted to release) and lead them to a better tomorrow. Hiro teleports Adam away, but not before he could drop the vial. Nathan convinces Peter to look in on Adam and manages to stop time and keep the virus from hitting the floor and wiping out the human race.

Meanwhile, Sylar, who has a less contageous strain but still deadly strain of the virus, captures Mohinder Suresh, Maya Herrera, and Molly Walker and demands that Mohinder make him a cure t the virus because Mohinder knows how to do it.

After stopping the powerful and deadly virus's vial from hitting the ground, Peter, Nathan, and Matt decide to oust the Company by revealing their powers.

Nikki Sanders saves a teenage girl, but is caught in the explosion when the building blows up.

Claire Bennet and her boyfriend get into a fight about the fact that she wants to reveal her powers because she thought her Father was dead. They break up. Noah is shown to be alive and she halts her plans.

Hiro shows up in Japan and tells Ando that Adam will no longer be able to bother them. It is shown that Adam is trapped in a coffin in a graveyard buried alive

Mohinder makes a cure for the Shanti by mixing his blood and Claire's blood. Sylar takes the vial.

Nathan Petrelli calls a press conference to reveal his powers. In midsentence, he is shot and collapses to the floor. The assassin runs into the crowd and Matt goes after him.

Sylar in in an alley. He injects himself with the mixture of bloods. He stares at a can in the other end of the alley. He holds up his hand and the can flies into it. "I'm Back"

And thus begins Season Three which promises to be a hell of a ride. I honestly liked season two unlike some others, but I do believe this one holds much more promise

Edited by Trekker 42

Well, I guess we either have limited Heroes fans around here or just no one that wants to talk. So, as you all know, I'm all for a good discussion :). I watched both episodes in HD last night and thought it had it's ups and it's downs. There is really too much to process, but here are my initial thoughts:

The Petrelli Family - The reason that I stayed through season 2! I loved Season 2 Peter!! I was hoping for more of the same, and am a little disappointed so far. First let me say, the reveal of Nathan's Shooter was not only shocking but made me smack myself for ever doubting the series. That being said, I don't like Scar Peter (or Future Peter if you prefer). I know there is more to play out, but I miss regular Peter. Nathan on the other hand I love, and I think he is perfect in the Political kind of setting. I love they are getting him back in a suit! I hope to see that develop. Not sure about the "Angel" idea yet. Religion can sometimes be a huge about error for a character if not handled correctly, but I'm willing to play along. And the Linderman thing is a BIG suprise. In fact, of all the characters so far, I think Nathan has the most going on! I'm glad that Angela is back F/T, I love her character and all the mystery behind her role in the whole story. I wii say that I don't like the choice to show Peter with the Villians. They should have showed the Bad Guy and just Peter's reflextion. I think in the long run, seeing peter with the group is going to be counter productive and maybe even a little confusing!

Hiro and Ando - Very disappointed with Hiro's arc right now. I liked Hiro at the end of Season 2. He was beginging to believe in himself and he was more serious and he seemed like a threat, like when he was going to take on Peter. Now, nothing, he's like a little kid that needs his diaper changed again. And, I'm getting sick of the, "I'll go to the Future and see what's up". It's kind of like a cop out and didn't we do that in the 1st season! Come on!! I still love Ando and I was glad to see that he had powers. I'll will be cool to see that progress.

Parkman - Outside of Nathan, my favorite arc has been with Parkman. I thought it was super dumb in the 1st episode, but in The Butterfly Effect it starts to get interesting. Matt meets a guy in Africa that can Paint (like Issac), and knows about Matt. This could be very cool, I'm very interesting in seeing where that goes!

Mohinder and Maya - Let's tackle Maya first. I don't like her, haven't liked her since day 1! She's very beautiful, I won't argue that, but this isn't "The Hills". She's as shallow as 4 once cup of V8! She needs to bite the big one this season and fast. As for Mohinder, I can't say I'm liking his progression so far. He's basically turned himself into a poor man's Spider-Man. However, he's not as funny or believable. It just doesn't work for me. That whole scene with him crawling up the wall made my stomache turn. It's lame. THAT being said, the twist we see toward the end, with the effects of the transformation does leave some interest. So, I'll hold my final thoughts until we learn more but this could turn into a very rewarding angle!

Sylar - Don't get me started. In the first episode Sylar was laughable. Seriously, the whole thing with chasing Claire around the house. Then, not being able to get through the dang door. Seriously, I know he's kind of a sissy, but can't the dude kick open a paper thin Pantry door? Honestly, my wife could have kicked that door in. I like the idea of Sylar as a bad guy, especially in the begining, but I don't know where they are taking him now.......which leads me to........

Claire and Noah - Teaming Noah with Sylar is going to be weird but I think it will be cool, they are two of the best actors on the show. But even more weird is going to be the fact that Claire is going to be following along. You can't trust Sylar, but him and Claire now share a bond. I don't know how that dynamic will work, but I love Noah, probably the most consistant cast member, so I'll give it time. I'm getting very tired of the "woe is me" crap from Claire. She is not my favorite by a longshot.

Villians - Well, we've really only had a few scenes with them in it. I like that they are truly evil. The scene where Flame Guy just charbroiled that lady at the gas station was intense, but it shows that they stakes are raised. I could see them becoming very interesting.

Super Fast Girl - Believe it or not, I actually liked her. She's cute and spunky. She has no depth yet, so we'll see how that develops.

Nikki/Jessica/Tracy - Oh give me a break. This feels a lot like Maya to me. Ali is hot, they need to have eye candy, I get it. But at least make her an interesting character. What is the connection, how does it fit. I'm willing to sit on this one while they develop it, but FYI I don't like that she's back.......at least not yet!

Overall Story - Not sure.....not sure. It looks like we are going down the "Save the World" routine again. Don't get me wrong, I know with this many heroes we have to see a large conflict. But didn't we already do this. Hiro went to the future and saw Tokyo destoryed.....didn't we already see that.......oh wait, that was New York, completely different thing, my bad. One thing that I thought was cool about season 2 was they went for the whole "Virus wipes out humanity route" rather than "Big explosion" route. They seem to be reverting back to the same idea from season 1. What would I like to see? Hero/Villian Deathmatch. You set up a show by titling the season "Villians", I expect a Secret Invasion type of battle. I don't care about Tokyo exploding, I care about beating the bad guys!

So, did I miss anything? Overall I liked the first two episodes. It gave me some big things to look forward to, but also threw up some flags I'll be watching closely. It's too early to rate the success of the year, they have a lot going for them. I don't think it was as strong a start as they needed, but it will do. I'd probably rate the 2-hours together around a 6 or 7 outta 10, but I'd have to say the potential for the season is around a 9! So, for the time I'm hooked again. Let's just hope it gets better and not worse! neo

I'm in complete agreement with you on most things, but here's some places where you and I disagree.

1. You missed Elle. I think Elle's an interesting girl especially because she's such a fuck-up (Honestly, that's the best way to describe her.).

2. And what's with Niki's ice powers? That makes no sense. I was actually glad to see the explosion at Season Two's end because I've always hated Nikki. Since day one, I HATED her. She has the most annoying power. Multiple personalities? COME ON!

3. Linderman's twist is really cool. When I saw him wak into Petrelli's room my mouth hit the floor and a resounding "Holy shit" flew from my mouth.

4. Did you notice Angela's dream with the return of Adam Monroe? God I hope he comes back. He's probably my favorite villain ever. Not only was he intimidating, but he was fun to watch and absolutely hilarious. I was laughing my ass off when he got buried alive.

5. I liked Maya at first, but she finally got on my nerves after Sylar killed Alejandro. I kinda figured that she would hook up with Mohinder though.

6. Yes, I have to discuss the final plot twist. Angela is Sylar's mother? Hmmm, I wonder if it was in a figurative sense.

7. Hiro. He's still fun. That's all I have to say about him. But he was better when he had his archenemy Adam around. Thus, I long for Adam's return

8. So if Peter is Jesse, where is Jesse?

9. Matt. He's in friggin Africa. I'm not liking that they're keeping Matt away from the real action. As for his other appearances, in Season One, he was my least favorite next to Nikki. His real point of shining was Season Two. Anyone else long for the return of the Nightmare Man?

10. Claire's mom is back. Yay. So, I guess they like to bring in season 1 characters just for fun eh?

That about does it for my list.

Trekker42 and neolego, you all need to get out of my head! Seriously, you both just about summed up my reaction to the episode(s). I'm also bored with the 'go to the future to see a big explosion' thing, and it seems like they've got Parkman doing what Hiro did in Season 2, off on some bizarre tangent far removed from the rest of the action. That's a shame, because Parkman is my favorite character, along with Nathan.

I'm just throwing this out there, but it seems like with Evil Claire coming up, they're going to have Sylar and Claire get 'involved'. I'm not saying I WANT that to happen, in fact the thought of it makes me throw up a little in my mouth. But, that's the vibe I got from the uber-creepy brain massage scene.

Another thing, Trekker42, you asked 'So if Peter is Jesse, where is Jesse?'. I think it's more apt to ask, where's Peter? My interpretation is that we're seeing Peter's consciousness in Jesse's body, and that as such, Peter now has whatever powers Jesse has. The alternative is that it's Peter's body with some effect that makes him look like Jesse, but if that were the case, you would think Peter could figure out how to undo the effect, since his future self put him in that situation. Ugh, I'm so confused! Anyway, I really would like to know what happened to Peter's body, and does it have Jesse's consciousness in it?

2. And what's with Niki's ice powers? That makes no sense. I was actually glad to see the explosion at Season Two's end because I've always hated Nikki. Since day one, I HATED her. She has the most annoying power. Multiple personalities? COME ON!

I'm guessing they're going for an "every personality has a different power" kind of thing. It's the only thing I could think of that would make her character(s) the least bit interesting. Oh, and the whole "Hey Nikki." "I'm not Nikki." "Oh, okay." bit is going to wear thin really quick. Plus, why did she have to kill The Greatest American Hero?

I'm guessing they're going for an "every personality has a different power" kind of thing. It's the only thing I could think of that would make her character(s) the least bit interesting. Oh, and the whole "Hey Nikki." "I'm not Nikki." "Oh, okay." bit is going to wear thin really quick. Plus, why did she have to kill The Greatest American Hero?

The Greatest American Hero was really getting on her nerves. After all of that, I might have done it too.

The question remains though, does Peter only get the power of the personality he meets? He's seen Nikki before, (How to Stop an Exploding Man) so how does he not have her power.

And honestly, this is my favorite of the personalities (If it is an alternate personality and not an evil twin. Is this the real Jessica?) Jessica is too evil, Nikki is whiny, and whatever the one that showed up in season two was is too plain annoying. This one is kinda badass.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I don't get. At the beginning of season 3, Future Peter came back from a time where Supers are persecuted, and Claire was bad and tried to kill him (with bullets?). Then Peter came back and changed the past (our present), and now his future is one in which nearly everybody has powers. BUT, Claire is STILL evil, wears exactly the same thing, and still wants to kill Peter - again, with a gun, despite the fact that Peter has Claire's healing power.

Sorry, friends, but I'm about one more episode away from giving up on this show. There's just so much random stuff going on - Parkman on multiple spirit walks, ghost Linderman, Mohinder stupidly injecting himself with the formula. For that matter, why does the super-powerful Company decide, hey, we have this horrible formula that if released could bring about the end of humanity and the earth, so let's write it down, tear it in two, and hide the pieces? What kind of organization works like this???

I'm giving it one more episode. I really want to know their justification for why bringing back Adam is the 'key' to solving the fact that the formula is in enemy hands.

Wow, I'm not as Jaded as Jad is. However, I am having some trouble with Heroes. Let me first say that I still enjoy the show and I am in no danger of not watching it right now. That being said, Heroes from season one has been #2 on my list of favorite shows behind Lost. At this point, it's not even must watch for me anymore. In fact, I have yet to watch a show on Monday night. I normally catch them on Hulu a few days later. I used to clear my schedule and order a pizza each week, but the show has just been dumbed down to the point that I'm not as interested anymore. But, when I do get around to watching it I always find myself entertained.

However, there are several MAJOR flaws with this show right now that are driving me INSANE! The most important one is the whole Timetravel/Butterfly Effect bull crap. I am getting sick of seeing the future and then the future changing and there really not being any fruit to the whole process. No matter how many times they've shown a "Future" (Post-Explosion, Infection, and now Super Humans) they are all subject to change. They aren't going to happen. It's almost like the lame movie/show/book plots where they invest your time in a situation and then it's revealed that it was only a dream. Why does Peter have a Scar? How did Sylar turn good and who is the child's mom? What happened to Claire to make her evil? How did Matt and Speedy get together? These are all questions that I'd like to know, but in the end it isn't going to matter because it's all going to be changed like none of it ever happened. They are wasting time developing stories that won't come to pass!

My other main problem is that Peter is the Hero........but they won't let him be. I liken Peter to Sentry (Marvel Comics). Anytime a big fight breaks out he is gone. For instance, in Secret Invasion, when Sentry was fighting he gets spooked by a skrull and then runs off to cry and is out for the count. This is the same angle they are taking on Peter. Season 1 was amazing with Peter. He was learning to become the hero, learning to use his powers, etc. He was the heart of the show. At the end of the season he could be invisible, read minds, fly, and explode. He should have been the Hero right, "Superman" if you will. The one to stand up when no one else would, that's the path he took all of the 1st season. So, in seaons 2, obviously he was going to rally the troops to take down the company right?!? No, he was locked away in Ireland and the Future for almost the whole season, most of which without a memory. But, the ending turned out good, now he and Nathan and Matt are going to rally the troops right. Nope, way, now he's trapped inside a Villain. Phew, that only lasted a few episodes, now he can.....oh wait, now he's trapped in the future again. It's just frustrating that this season is called Villains and we have bad guys that need to be stopped and Peter should be leading the change, not time hopping!! And the whole thing with Sylar powers makes me sick. To think that now Peter is going to struggle with cutting people's skulls open is uncalled for. I could understand a "Vemon Suit" type story where he suggles for control and then finally overcomes to evil to be the hero we all know and love. With Pete, he will never get rid of that desire, so there will always be an evil deep down inside him. I've honestly got not problem with Gray Heroes, but at the same time I think we also need Black and White. Peter is the White, the good guy again like superman. The guy who will never kill and who will always defend the innocent and weak, but now he's infected with evil. I just don't like what they are doing with Peter, not one bit!

Other issues I have include the Villians. Since this seasons is titled "Villains" I'm sure the Villains will play a HUGE role, right. I'm sure they won't die off in the third episode.....right?!?! Ha, The Safe Guy gets gutted, and Banshee gets Loped open by Sylar. Then Blue Hands is back in Prison and I can't even remember what happened to the black guy. But come ON! I'm glad they brought Adam back, he is one of the best memebers of the Cast, but we need BAD GUYS for the season to be called "Villains". There is also the issue of the "created" heroes. The preview shows Angela telling Nathan his powers were injected or whatever they say. So, are they all by product of the injection or are some like Peter truly heroes. And, what is the difference between those. And finally, Hiro is my least favorite character of this show right now. I loved Hiro in season 1, the comedy was good and the oddness of him was believeable. Even in season 2 I liked him being off on his own and becoming a hero. Now, you would think about the NYC even and him coming in to save the day and then all the time he spent in Japan learning to be a hero and even fighting for his life you would imagine that now, he has become more responsible, level headed, and serious. But now, he's still a slapstick waste of screen. He whines about Ando and asks like a 8 year old girl. WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH THE CHARACTER WRITING ON THIS SHOW. The best three things about this show in season 1 were Peter, Hiro, and Sylar. So far, since season 1 Peter has lost his memory and been trapped in the future twice. Hiro spent almost all of his time in the past and now listens to Hannah Montanna. And Sylar, after a nice vacation in Mexico, now gets to be bossed around by the Company. Argh......

So, I can still enjoy some of the action of the show and even look forward to some of the possibility, but Heroes has been from my #2 must watch show to my "get around to it when I have the time" show. It's still fun, but there are too many flaws and writting loop holes for this show to even be mentioned in the same breath as Lost! neo

• 3 weeks later...