UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Lady In The Water

I thought it was okay. I was very distracted by M Night's character. I don't think he is a great actor, and I think it was arrogant of himself to cast himself in such an important role (I won't spoil anything here). Also, there wasn't much of a resolution at the end of the movie. But I thought the other actors did an excellent job, and the cinematography was top-notch as usual.

I was on the fence about going to see this movie this weekend. But the kids want to see Monster House, so it looks like Monster House its going to be. I probably won't get a chance to see this movie until it comes out on video, but the wait will kill me. Can some please post spoiler filled summary of the movie? And is there a twist ending?

I went into it expecting to be somewhat disappointed, cuz I had read several reviews that totally bashed it (still, I enjoyed The Village *for some reason that I still can't quite figure out* and that got a lot of bad reviews) ... but my main draw to the movie was my respect for Shyamalan's vision and storytelling. That, and I love how he does his infamous twist endings.

To my chagrin, there was no twist ending. It, to me, felt like a poor mix between The Village's tedious duration, and Signs' lack of surprise ending.

I managed to over look some of the less-than-entertaining aspects of the movie because I was spending my entire time paying as close attention as I could to detail and constantly working through in my mind what the twist might possibly be...

So needless to say, I was disappointed when I walked out of the theater.

But then again, I was disappointed when I left The Village, because I had seen Signs so many times that I was looking for something more like that, rather than what The Village was intended to be. And after watching The Village a few more times, I began to appreciate it more and more... So I'm thinking the more I see Lady In The Water, and the more I begin to see it as Shyamalan intended for it to be seen, the more I will begin to like it...

Can some please post spoiler filled summary of the movie? And is there a twist ending?

Well, basically, The main character (Paul Giamatti) is an apartment-complex superintendent who crosses paths with the 'Lady' (Brice Dallas Howard). The Lady turns out to be a Narf, a water-dwelling Nymph-like creature from long long ago, whose only tie to the present is the stories of their kind which have now been turned into a children's bed-time fairy tale.

The whole premise of the movie is that this Nymph has to find and interact with a specific person. But not just any person - this person is vital to the advancement of society. In this instance, it is a man (played by Shamalan - his first 'big' role in one of his own movies) who writes a book that will later become vital in the life of a boy who will someday be the President of America. The trouble starts when she has to get back to her own world, but is held up by a Scrunt, a mythical creature who wants nothing but to stop this Lady from accomplishing her mission and getting back home. This is where it gets a little choppy - the only way she can accomplish this is by finding a moderate number of people who play specific roles (such as a guardian, a healer, etc). They formulate a plan and enact it in hopes of returning Story (that's the name of the Nymph) to her home. The "plot twists" come in when the characters are trying to figure out what role they play. It's nothing extraordinary, and just about all of them are obvious enough.

I'd have to say that the best parts of the movie are the very beginning (the animated segment where the story is set up) because it fuels your imagination for something grand and extraordinary; and the end (the scene with the eagle and the protector monkey-things called Tartutics) The coolest scene single aspect of the movie, to me, was the Tartutics. I just think they looked cool.

My overall thought on the movie...

I think Shyamalan should have focused the entire movie in a world where only these creatures exist... maybe find some way to transport one single human into the world of the Narfs or the Scrunts or what have you, and let the majority of the interaction be the human fulfilling a mission and in turn, finding a place, in this new world. And at the end, have a twist ending ala The Village or 6th Sense...

I have noticed that (between The Village and Lady) Shyamalan hits his greatest intensity and entertaining/fulfilling-ness when he features fantasy-creatures. When I thought that the monsters in The Village were real creatures, I was rivited... and when the final scene of Lady played, with the Tartutics and the Eagle... it was a climax that didn't fit the tandom of the rest of the movie...

Well, that's my personal opinion.

Every so often I find myself trying to make more out of the movie... I keep wanting to convince myself that there was a deep, underlying plot twist in there that I never picked up on because I missed some subtle detail...

I keep having that one phrase at the beginning running though my head: "over time, humans have forgotten how to listen" ... And I wonder to myself if that was the theme, and hidden somewhere in that movie is a huge plot twist that nobody has stumbled over yet...

I agree with Luke 100%. Also, one could say that the plot twist was that

SPOILER

Paul Giamatti ends up being the healer. But not really.

Also, I think a much for fitting role for M Night would have been "Bathroom guy". The Audience would be waiting for Shyamalan to appear for the entire movie and it could be a surprise when he emerges from the bathroom. ^_^

Edit:

Also, I may have missed this but how did Paul figure out who the "seven sisters" were. Two of them weren't even related! Was it the fact that they're the only women of similar ages that live in the cove?

Also, I may have missed this but how did Paul figure out who the "seven sisters" were. Two of them weren't even related! Was it the fact that they're the only women of similar ages that live in the cove?

Yeah, that was an easy thing to get lost on. There was a relatively quick comment about how it was 'a group of 5, plus 2' (or something to that affect), and he sorta repeats it when he lines them up to do the healing.