UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Buying a PS3

neolego

What Model do I BUY ?!?!?!

I went to my local Entertain Store at lunch. They have a 20gig, 40gig, 60gig, and 80gig. The 60gig is the most expensive even used because it's "discontinued" and it's the "only one that supports full Backward Compatability"......or so I'm told.

Now, I set out to buy the 80gig model, I learned my lesson with my Xbox 20 gig, to get as much space as available. Now, these lackies are telling me that the 60gig is actually superior due to Full BC and the 80gig is only like 60% BC. Really, I just wanted the Blu Ray, so I guess it doesn't really matter, but now I'm confussed!?!? I don't own any PS2 games, and I don't know that I ever will, so BC is not a huge selling point for me, but I want Wireless and Blu Ray more than anything.

So, who here has a PS3 and what would your advise be? Money is not an issue. I have over $550 in my pocket waiting for my PS3, but it's more like I don't want to spend any extra money if I can help it. I just need a dang Blu Ray player!!! neo

I'm extremely happy with the 40gig model. I don't have any PS2 games either and I've heard the new 40/80 versions have hardware upgrades over the 60/20s. Space has never been an issue. I suppose if it was, I would try plugging a portable hard drive into the USB slot.

I bought the 80 gig model, mainly because I wanted Metal Gear Solid and it was included. And I understand the 80 gig model is somewhat backward compatible, never know when you might want to pick up some cheap PS2 games to broaden you library. BTW the DVD portion is OUTSTANDING! I had a high def dvd as well as a high end regular DVD and the picture was phenom! Good luck and tell us whet you get!

Jeeze I must have wiped off me desire to get a PS3 on the rest of this board. I think I will stick to my Xbox for now. I know it doesn't have blu ray ( I dont have a 1080p TV anyways...), I know it doesnt have wireless ( my router is only a few feet from my xbox). But the one thing that is stopping me from spending my greenbacks on a PS3 is ............. GAMES!!!!! You cant argue with a games line up like Fable 2, Gears of War 2 and Halo Wars, not even to mention the "GTA DLC"!. Now that that is over.... Neo, I would say to get the 40gig model becuse you would have more $$$ to spend on Blu Ray Discs and A blu Ray Remote for the PS3. Good luck buying!

Well, I am glad to say I am now the proud parent of a PSWii60. If you would have asked me 2 years ago if I would be a Tri-Console owner, I would have laughed at your face. HOWEVER, that is what I am, and really they all bring their different part to my Media Set Up! The Wii is for my family and big groups and my 2 year old daughter loves it. Plus, even two years later, I love Wii Sports Golf (Can't wait for Tiger). Now, my PS3 will take the place as my glorifed Blu Ray/DVD Player. I've been using my HD DVD add on to upconvert, but now I'll just use the PS3! And, finally, my Xbox is still the king of my mountain when it comes to gaming. Neither of the others hold a candle, there are just too many AWESOME games! Seriously, between now and December you have Madden, Fallout, Fable, Banjo, Prince of Persia, Call of Duty: WaW, Viva Pinata, just to name a few. The Xbox is still the console of choice!

As for my model, I went with wii's advice (even though I bought it yesterday, lol) and picked up a 40gig. I have no love for Sony so I don't care about BC, plus with the extra hundred I said, I picked up Ratatouie, Cars, and the Pirates Trilogy on Blu Ray! As for now, the only game that I have any interest in at all is Ratchet and Clank, but I'll wait for a price drop! neo

I might get a PS3 this Christmas, when the 80gig finally gets its price drop to be $400. But I will stay play most of my games on the xbox, the only games I wan is Resistance 2 and Killzone 2.