UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Interview with Chuck @ AF.com

AdyCarter

I've always thought that the high end stuff was DST's Focus, It's jsut sad that we are days before a major, no 'The' major comic/toy show of the year and AA/DST havent said anything about minimates or are pimping that they will have 12&13 let alone anything else to show us.

I dont think we'll see anything on 14&15 because I dont believe they've planned that far ahead!

After betting my soul that they'd have 12&13 there I'm now not so sure.

[Rant]

IT's BEEN a YEAR SINCE WE HAD ANY MARVEL!!! the only thing we've had in that time is on wave of SFII... and I'm starting to worry if all the new stuff we've been seeing is just smoke and mirrors...

[/rant]

T.

He said there is no size restriction on the Marvel stuff. haven't they been preaching that they cannot contractually go beyond 2" with minis? :huh:

He said there is no size restriction on the Marvel stuff. haven't they been preaching that they cannot contractually go beyond 2" with minis? :huh:

Yep, they have sent mixed signals. I'm not sure what to think. nice to see DC take advantage of the 2.5" scale. imo if Marvel does not improve, they will be dead. :(

Don't take this the wrong way...

I'm still gonna buy all the MArvel MM that come out, But COME ON!

The DCD ones not only have NEW molds, they have NEW characters and come in different sizes!

If I had to decide which ones to collect, Marvel would NOT be my pick.

Survival of the fitest... And coolest. ;)

Don't take this the wrong way...

I'm still gonna buy all the MArvel MM that come out, But COME ON!

The DCD ones not only have NEW molds, they have NEW characters and come in different sizes!

If I had to decide which ones to collect, Marvel would NOT be my pick.

Survival of the fitest... And coolest. ;)

See, that's where we differ. I'm not.

It's not worth it to me, to buy every Wolverine or Spidey (Cyclops, Captain America, etc) that's put out, just to get one or two new 'mates. Sentry, Echo, Fury and Cage won't have homes on my shelves as a result. With the exception of Fury, I'm ok with that. For Fury, I'll go to the secondary market and buy just that figure. If he's too expensive, I'll by just that 2 pack and that's all.

Same goes for Kitty and Beast. Neither one is a big enough 'want' for me to justify buying figures I already own in some form (or 4 -5 forms as the case may be).

DST and Marvel really have an uphill battle to get me to go back to the days where I purchased whole sets plus the chase as soon as I found them at retail.

As far as DC, I agree - new molds, new characters (even the characters we've already gotten look to be improvements on past attempts) and different sizes are all excellent. As long as they continue to put out consistently different characters, I'll be onboard. However, when we get to our 5th or 6th version of Batman in day glo pink and orange camo, I'm dropping the line. (Or Turner versions of the characters vs Superfriends versions vs Miller versions, as DCD is probably going to be more apt to do...) I hope that doesn't happen.

I think it's very likely that DCD will eventually try to do DC Minimates based on specific artist representations. I would question it's effectiveness in the 2" block figure scale, but I think they'll try regardless.

A thought did hit me while reading the above. I wonder if AA may decide to pick up the Marvel license from DST? It could be that Minimates aren't reaching DST's high end or high volume target consumer.

Let's face it, we love Minimates in part because they are small and cheap. The market may be better suited for a smaller niche company like Art Asylum.

They need to get the block figures out there. Fuck the licenses. Let's have our policemen and firefighters and criminals and postal workers in sets. Let's go back to basics.

Lego does it, Playmobil does it. C'Mon Art Asylum, you can do it!

I really agree with you Danny. Its practically pure profit for them. I can't understand what the hold-up is for them on the generics, but it must be serious. All I can figure is a lack of faith in their product.

They need to get the block figures out there. Fuck the licenses. Let's have our policemen and firefighters and criminals and postal workers in sets. Let's go back to basics.

Lego does it, Playmobil does it. C'Mon Art Asylum, you can do it!

LEGO doesn't do it very often. With the exception of really expensive 'people' sets, the only way to get LEGO people is to buy sets. It's too expensive for LEGO to just make the people and sell them alone. (Besides the fact that the driving force behind LEGO are the bricks - not the people in the sets.)

AFIK, Playmobil doesn't do it either, but I'm not as familiar with their product. I see lots of sets on shelves at Target and TRU, but no 'people' only sets.

I think generic figs of policemen/firemen/whatever could have been a possibility if C3 had really taken off, but in the market they were trying to enter, it just wasn't possible.

So we are back to the question - why doesn't AA get on the ball with generic peeps? Army builders seem like a no brainer.

Hmmm... I think I will ask them on Saturday.

Maybe myself or TBT can take a list of demands/questions to AA. Should we start a new thread ...

Maybe myself or TBT can take a list of demands/questions to AA. Should we start a new thread ...

Shane and I are planning on making a visit to AA, DST etc and asking some questions but probably want to be as nice as possible to get them 'onside' for the forum.

I think the issues with 'generic' minimates would be who would buy them? ok so we have a couple of dozen guys here who want them, but IF people like spiderman and batman aren't selling to kids then it's hardly lilely they are going to want police and firemen etc.

If the line was doing well at mass market then I could see 'citymates' working out but not at the moment.

T.

Interesting point but I disagree. Someone bought those Cubes action figures enough to launch a UPS Delivery man figure in wave 2.

How will collectors know if a line is doing well if no Minimates are in stores or even for sale on the web?

Crank out some generic people during the lull in regular waves. People are buying all types of obscure Kubricks. And don't even get me startd on Qees.

Minimates should be dominating this collectible category. Mass market, shmass market. Release some Minimates already.

I won't buy generics. i have no desire for police men and fire fighters.

I will be getting the BSG line for the army guys however.

I'd much rather play with 13 Spidermans then a police/firefighter set. However, that's just me. I love Marvel and I love the Marvel Minimates.

Interesting point but I disagree. Someone bought those Cubes action figures enough to launch a UPS Delivery man figure in wave 2.

How will collectors know if a line is doing well if no Minimates are in stores or even for sale on the web?

Crank out some generic people during the lull in regular waves. People are buying all types of obscure Kubricks. And don't even get me startd on Qees.

Minimates should be dominating this collectible category. Mass market, shmass market. Release some Minimates already.

I agree on the Kubricks & Quees point. People buy them in droves, but - many of the more popular lines are either a) licensed figures (the scope of Kubricks licenses is HUGE and dwarfs any other line I've ever seen) OR B) artist related figures.

I think the Design-a-mate competiton (and subsequent line) could have been great, but someone (AA/Play Along/Jakks restructuring) dropped the ball and IMO they missed their window of opportunity. This could have been a line similar to Quees, Kubricks, Dunny, Tofu or any other artist line out there. Think about it - they had Evan freakin' Dorkin on board. How much more credibility do you need for dorks to come out in droves for a line of toys?

Anyway, my point is, I agree that 'mates could (and should be) dominating the category. They clearly, IMO, have the best product out there - because I like a little articulation in my minifigs. Unfortunately a reluctance to take a chance or possibly a lack of capitol/backing to undertake such a venture is really limiting the potential for the line and perhaps the future of 'mates in general.

As soon as I discovered Marvel Minimates, I was hooked. I started trying to collect just Spidey and his rogues gallery (let's face it, he's the only one who really has a rogues gallery in mate form), but soon found myself collecting every figure that was released at the time. Basically, I've been onboard as soon as I discovered how cool the little guys were. I've been with them with the new mold figures and interesting exclusives, and I've ridden out the repaint waves and the previously released turned into a wave figures. But its been harder and harder to stick out this slump. We got two waves of repaints, a years wait, then two more repaint waves. No news of anything bright on the horizon, heck, no news of anything. We see new stuff for Street Fighter, new stuff for DC, new stuff for BSG, heck even Speed Racer stuff (Speed Racer?!), but the line that really launched the craze is taking a backseat to new liscences. My customs outnumber my official figures, and all I get is repaints that skimped on a decent paint job and ducked using pieces that were already molded that would have made more sense. I feel more and more like this next wave is going to be a slap in the face. If I could just hear someone from AA/DST say that the next wave is going to be spectacular, or some other assurance that they haven't forgotten about the little guys who made it all possible, then my fears would be eased and my doubts erased. But we hear nothing.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate AA or DST for the current trend for Marvel mates. After all, business is business. And they'll still manage to get my money if the next wave is all Spidey and all Wolvie (and with the Ultimate Clone Saga and the Exiles Army of Wolverines coming up, its possible), but I find myself hating the other lines because of how much more attention their own parents are giving them.

Rabble Rabble!

The whole "custom fodder/blanks/generics" for sale idea was once looked into.

For various reasons Im not going into on a board it didnt happen.

But it is known there is a demand for this, remember though AA dont have much of a web presence, let a lone the ability to sort out (and run) an online store offering these. It would likely have to be a third party, and there seems to be a lack of third parties with the drive and funding to take this idea further.