UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

XBox360 Help

Shanester

I got my son a new XBox360 last night. We were hoping to play his old XBox games on it, but it says to go to the web fo directions of backwards compatability.

Can someone tell me what the deal is with this? I am lost and the site is not very helpful.

First things first, you need the Full system not just the core, and an active Xbox Live Connection

Basically only a certain amount of games are backward compatible, at present these are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_...e_with_Xbox_360

Pop in one of those games and the system will download the software required to play them.

Now my problem is that my router is in my office and my kids room is next door. I guess I will need a netowrk cable about 40 foot long. Jeez!

Guess I need to remind my wife not to suprise me with this just yet :rolleyes: Not sure what she has in mind for my birthday, but I hope it's not this. As I want to get my flatscreen in the bedroom and get this room in shape before I buy a game system. Not to mention I want more games and the price to go down on this system. Does anyone have any thoughts on some of the other companies platforms? I know that both Nintendo and Sony are coming out with something by Christmas. But I just want a good system that I can play shoot em up games on. On our first computer, I loved playing Quake. Of course while my car was in the shop, I love to pop over to Best Buy and play Call of Duty on the old Xbox :D

Here is a simple solution for everyone. Wait for the Wii ! It is going to be released September/October this year and really that's not that far away. It will come with full Backward Compatability (no download needed) plus it will have built in wireless access to it's completely FREE Connect24 online service.

Now, this is coming from someone who has an Xbox360 and while I love Madden and Oblivion on the 360, come October my 360's going to be about as dusty as Drew Carey's love life. Playing = Believing. neo

And sorry for my ignorance, but which system is this and who's making it again? Pretty sad when it comes to the world of game consoles :(

This is the Nintendo Wii. And yes, it has been confirmed.

It will backwards compatable with all GameCube games. You will also have access to the Virtual Console where you can download (by fee) any game in Nintendo's library from the NES to N64. You will also have access to all of Sega Genesis's greatest games.

The online service has been confirmed to be "Connect24" and it will be much like what the Nintendo Wifi Connection service is for the DS. Bascially you will have a Friend List (much like Xbox Live) where you can play with your friends or you can challenge anyone. Now, not all games have been confirmed for having Online Play yet, but they will in time. If not at launch, by the time Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing comes out. If you look at the DS it took a year to really develop their online play, but since then is a force to be rekoned with, so even if we don't get full online support at launch it is coming and it will change the way games are played - in every way*. neo

*spoken like a true Fanboy :)

Is full backward compatability confirmed? and backward compatability with what systems?

Nintendo has stated the Wii will be hardware compatable with the Gamecube (they don't have the hardware issues the Xbox does because Nintendo didn't change companies on the graphics chip like Microsoft did), and through the virtual console we'll be able to download games from the NES, SNES, N64 (both in house developed as well as 3rd party), as well as selected titles from the SEGA Genesis, Turbo Graphics 16, and new indie developed games.

And sorry for my ignorance, but which system is this and who's making it again? Pretty sad when it comes to the world of game consoles :(

Neolego is talking about the new Nintendo Wii (uncomfermed price of "under $250"). Most of the FPS's will be released on the Mocrosoft Xbox 360 (Halo 3 has been announced) or the Playstation 3 (announced price of $600). Personally I'd suggest you go with the 360 (with a hard drive), if you just want FPS's. With a Xbox Live account (even the free trial they give) you can download all the patches for the Xbox game to play on a 360 and it already has Call of Duity as a launch title, with a "Spider-Man 2/GTA" style free roaming Superman Returns game due out, and again Halo 3 has been announced. Over all though the Nintendo Wii will have the potential biggest launch title list if you include the virtual console and will come in the cheapest of all the new gen systems. If you want a reason to get a PS3, then you're going to have to ask someone else, cause at $600 with no extra controler and no game to play I've got nothing for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your feedback on this drkknight001. Going to see if the wife is still open to this. Just before our vacation she had considered getting me one for my birthday. But I put a few clues together and figured it out and ask her to hold off because of our vacation. While I would love one right now, I don't want to be eating Top Ramen for the next 6 months either :lol: