UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

mini figure resin display

Does anyone else out there think with this giant boom for minimates, with all the new releases and such, that now would be a good time to see if the public would be interested in this wicked awesome playset. Maybe they could bring it back and have an exclusive minimate that only comes with the playset. I would love to here an opinion from DST on this. I would buy it in a heart beat.

Does anyone else out there think with this giant boom for minimates, with all the new releases and such, that now would be a good time to see if the public would be interested in this wicked awesome playset. Maybe they could bring it back and have an exclusive minimate that only comes with the playset. I would love to here an opinion from DST on this. I would buy it in a heart beat.

I think you'll find Chucks opinion is once bitten twice shy...

They tried to get both this and the maxi mates out as resin and no one touched em.. not even selling at cost. I remember Chuck saying that he'd learnt his lesson there, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

T.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a shame. The maxi-mates are still all kinds of awesome, even though they can't move. If they would have been around $20, they would have sold better, I bet. But business is business. Maybe with advances in resin casting to make things cheaper we may see something similar one day.

other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

Maximates should have been rotocast. (Just in case Chuck or Matt happen to see this thread...) :D

I always though that that licensing issues were what killed the maximates, partly cos the materials used and partly due to the loss of articulation.

Somewhere in my mind I often wonder if a simple 'blank' unlicensed minimate figure but blown up to maximate scale ( with the articulation intact) would both be cool and sell well.

Who doesn't want an 8" fully possable minimate?

T.

other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

Maximates should have been rotocast. (Just in case Chuck or Matt happen to see this thread...) :D

I always though that that licensing issues were what killed the maximates, partly cos the materials used and partly due to the loss of articulation.

Somewhere in my mind I often wonder if a simple 'blank' unlicensed minimate figure but blown up to maximate scale ( with the articulation intact) would both be cool and sell well.

Who doesn't want an 8" fully possable minimate?

T.

I don't know the reason behind the Maxis being killed - I always assumed it was due to low sales. IMO that was due to the high cost which IIRC was due to the materials used. I could be mis-remembering things though...

I'm game for any new blanks. I want them in every size and color of the rainbow. (I'm working on collecting LEGO blanks - if you think collecting blank mates is tough try finding blank LEGO people....) I think this would also appeal to the 'urban vinyl' artist types out there that buy blank Dunnys, Smart Bombs, Munnys and Kubricks.

I'm game for any new blanks. I want them in every size and color of the rainbow. (I'm working on collecting LEGO blanks - if you think collecting blank mates is tough try finding blank LEGO people....) I think this would also appeal to the 'urban vinyl' artist types out there that buy blank Dunnys, Smart Bombs, Munnys and Kubricks.

Same thought - the DIY vinyl stuff is great.

I think the big question would be cost-effectiveness. Short of the mass-produced vinyl figures that are out there, the number of pieces that would be necessary for a fully articulated rotocast minimate would be expensive unless there was a high-production run, which would be a tough sell for DST. If anything, Maximates made a point to DST that high-price-point items for the Minimate brand is less-likely to sell.

I take that back. Maximates just proved that only Wolverine and Spider-Man sell :P