UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Tired of recycling parts for your customs? Make your own!

www.printapart.com

Okay, this is bad-ass. A hobby magazine article I was reading gave a complete rundown of the process with pictures. You basically create model in a 3-D program, send them the file, and they print it with a polymer inkjet dealie. It captures detail amazingly well – the "pixel" size is .04mm. A Minimate-accessory-sized part ended up costing about $30. A little pricey, but if there's a "must-have" unique piece you need, it's within reason.

I'm very seriously considering this for a couple projects...

I signed up, and uploaded files,but they were jpg and bitmaps. They said they need to be sat or zip files. How do I convert my files for uploading. Thanks for any help. :)

Actually, from what I read, I think they need a specific 3D modelling format called STL. You'll need a 3D program to get that.

Very cool service, and not outrageously priced. I wonder how many customizers are thinking of recreating LOTR wave 3....

Another thought I had (non-minimate related) would be to make a 3D model of your own head, print it out, and whip up a custom action figure of yourself. 'Course, making that 3D model can't be easy...