UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

When did the new shoulder design debut?

Customizer

Why am i not surprised to see you responding first :D? Thank you for coming through again Fuji's. With that said...

Ok...now im confused. I thought the New shoulder design was the one with more ROM (pic at the very bottom)?

According to your post / the link provided the First 2'' pre production mates had smaller ball stems (which begs the question: Would these match up with stikfas ball and sockets?). The actual 2'' 'mates on the other hand had less Range Of Motion than the preproduction piece.

Yet...

According to this sites review: http://www.oafe.net/yo/mmmbdcp.php

Battle Damaged Cap' has a wider ROM than his predecessor. So..is the Battle Damaged Cap' a recent release thus a new shoulder design (or it has the blanks original shoulder set up) or was Cap and the Punisher (i assume) a special set with different shoulders while others didnt feature this?

**EDIT: It looks liek this set featuring Damaged Cap' and Punisher was an exclusive. I suppose the only way to know if the extended range of motion these exclusives have is standard for all of the figures from that year would be to directly compare. Does anyone have a 2004-2005 'Mate they can check for us here?**

post-269-1190606690_thumb.jpg

In my experience with the 2" Minimates, (which means from the beginning of the Marvel line) I have owned several copies of the same minimates and there have always been variances in the shoulder ROM. Poor QC and varying molds have given us Minimates with arms that won't stay on the shoulder joints, arms that hardly have any side movement, hip joints that snap off in legs, and snapping knees and elbows. I don't think there is an exact answer to when the "new" shoulder joint debuted. Some waves have been better than others, but you pretty much just buy them and pray for a good set.

In my experience with the 2" Minimates, (which means from the beginning of the Marvel line) I have owned several copies of the same minimates and there have always been variances in the shoulder ROM. Poor QC and varying molds have given us Minimates with arms that won't stay on the shoulder joints, arms that hardly have any side movement, hip joints that snap off in legs, and snapping knees and elbows. I don't think there is an exact answer to when the "new" shoulder joint debuted. Some waves have been better than others, but you pretty much just buy them and pray for a good set.

Ok so i can expect that in a given lot of figures some will have the ability to extend their arms almost completely out to the sides like Battle Damaged Captain America and the yellow blank figure and others will be more along the lines of the 1st cap (angled downwards).

Are the manafacturers of MM's aware of this variance? Its hard to believe that what one would think would be a running modification to increase the ROM is actually an accident they might not be aware of / concerned with. Is there any indication that they know about the range of motion difference? I read some where that it was a response to complaints about the lack of range in the shoulders to begin with...

The promo blanks in 2003 predated the Marvel line. The balljoint was flawed in that it allowed a wide range of motion but because of this the arm would fall out of the socket very easy. Early Marvel Minimates had much thicker sockets which restricted movement slightly more but was a much tighter fit.

If BD Cap was the first Marvel Minimate to have new arm sockets, remember that the exclusives featured construction designs that sometimes didn't carry across to retail 'mates (the new leg contruction etc) so it may be hard to pinpoint exactly when the change occurred.

The promo blanks in 2003 predated the Marvel line. The balljoint was flawed in that it allowed a wide range of motion but because of this the arm would fall out of the socket very easy. Early Marvel Minimates had much thicker sockets which restricted movement slightly more but was a much tighter fit.

If BD Cap was the first Marvel Minimate to have new arm sockets, remember that the exclusives featured construction designs that sometimes didn't carry across to retail 'mates (the new leg contruction etc) so it may be hard to pinpoint exactly when the change occurred.

Thanks a lot Danny. I suppose the only question left is whether or not the exclusive Battle Damaged Cap style shoulders / arms with extended range of motion are the norm currently for the standard minimates (which youd think would be easy enough to find out here seeing as though the exclusive BD Cap was released in 2004).

And what is this new leg construction you speak of ? :blink:

Thank god Danny finally weighed in on this thread, I've been waiting. Customizer, you're in good hands now -- nobody knows more about 'Mate construction than Danny.

I dunno, I know quite a bit, though I have no mates (to my knowledge) with the different shoulders or legs.

And customizer, the different legs are just this

SantaSpidey17.jpg

SantaSpidey18.jpg

I don't think there is a difference with the legs, just the direction the knee pin is inserted. I have a few figures with the pin inserted a different way on each leg, hence the different look.

Nah, I'm no expert. Just giving my opinions.

And sorry Shane, I disagree. There was clearly an "exclusive" Minimate body used a couple of years ago. There were many changes from the standard Marvel retail Minimate body at that time - hole in the head, switched legs, longer torso peg, different chest grips. Some of these were later included. The other thing that happened later with the exclusives was the "lip" on the hand sockets on the EEEC Minimates, that was different too.

I had the opportunity to experiment with a 2005 (at least thats the date stamp on the leg) Cyclops ( that came with the white witch ?) and sure enough....it has the greater range of motion that Cap displays.

Considering the Exclusive was from 2004 i guess you could confidently state that at the latest the "new" shoulder design showed up in 2005.