UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wizard World Chicago

Punisher

This will be my first time ever going to a comic con, whats it like?

how do signings work, how can you get an artist to draw you a sketch?

are prices on things like toys really high?

I hope a "more experienced" person can help me out! :biggrin:

Hmmm... I'm starting to wonder why so many new people are going to WWC this year....lol

What it's like? Toy Exclusives/Company booths as soon as you walk in, lots of vendors to the right followed by Artist Alley.

Along with that you have signings at different booths (Marvel/DC/Apens/DST/Actor/etc.). The guest of honor can be signing anywhere plus the have a session by the fountain. You also have various panels in the conference rooms. (Cup of Crap and so on..) Your best bet is to read the guide to see what events/signings are happening and their times/locations.

Prices range from decent to expensive. I also take a quick look down an aisle and go back to get the better deal. Some times they are already gone.

LOTS to do and see. If there's someone you want to see or a panel you want to get in on, be sure you're there early and are prepared to wait in line. Bring a DS if you have one. Bring a book, cards, etc - something to occupy your time while you're waiting. If you register for raffle prizes (ie at the Nintendo booth) be sure you're there when they do the drawing - if you aren't present and they draw your name, you don't get the prize!

We had the kids in tow, so we didn't wait in line for much - just tried to walk around and see everything.

Some general tips:

Wear comfortable shoes. Bring a bottle of water. Bring a back pack - not a duffle bag/messenger bag - they take up too much room. IMO the food at the con was very overpriced. Since you'll have an all day pass, if you're going in the morning, take a break and walk down to McDonalds (or somewhere else around there) to get lunch. You'll feel better getting some fresh air for a while.

Vendors - best day to visit and haggle on prices with vendors is Sunday. They don't want to pack up and take everything back if they don't have to. That said, the item you're looking for may not be there on Sunday - so decide if it is worth saving a few $ to run the risk of not getting the item you want. (Avoid Krypton Comics from Omaha NE btw - a$$holes to deal with and WAY overpriced.)

These are from a couple of years ago.

cosplay2.jpg

redsonja.jpg

titans-sortof.jpg

venomvsraph.jpg

whitequeenanddarkphoenix.jpg

niceshirt.jpg

batfamily.jpg

I agree with Reideen, bring comfortable shoes, they'll save you. The food is very overpriced and not very good. As suggested it's better to go to McDonald's which is about 2 city blocks from the con exit door. If you want an alternative, there is a Giordano's Pizza/Italian restaurant just behind McDonald's and their prices is pretty reasonable. Those are the nearest choices, although there other places locally but not within walking distance or cheap.

http://rosemont.com/restaurants/index_restaurants.php

Not on the list is a Hooters and Outback Steakhouse which are on Higgins + Cumberland (Just the next stop east on the CTA Blue Line)

Reideen, Did you go in 2005?

Yep. Had a great time & deals were very good. Picked up my carded CTHD figures there for about $2 each. (Opened them up as soon as I got back to the hotel room too! :D) I also got the 400% Batman Kubrick there - $20.

Giordano's Pizza was excellent btw! I'd highly recommend it!!

thanks for the tips guys,

they will deffinately help me out on my trip!

EDIT: I have anotherquick question: Will companies like hasbro, marvel toys, and even dst have their toys for sale or do i have to go to a private owned booth and get the stuff there?

For example: Say i want the concept camaro bumble bee (which i do) could i go to the hasbro booth and purchase it there, or would i have to go to dealer/ private owned booths looking for it?

So what im trying to say is, do companies have stuff for sale?

Hasbro generally doesn't have anything to sell other than the exclusives... Marvel toys, on the other hand is too new to know. DST will usually have a lot of stuff that you can get... In the past, they've always had Minimates and Marvel Selects on hand to sell...