UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Posters

Hello all, Im pretty new to the Multiverse, but not to the world of Minimates. Ive been collecting Minimates for about a year now. My obsession began with the work I am displaying on this page, but my ideas have since grown by leaps and bounds in regards to what it capable with Minimates.

Well, I did not find the Minimate Multiverse in time to compete in the Minimate Movie Poster Contest, although I really would have liked to.

But I still felt I would like to share some of my work with other Minimate lovers out here.

The basis of my posters here started in a Photoshop class I was attending at the Art Institute of Colorado when I was there in the Photography BA program. We were to create a CD cover for our final project in the class. There were enough people in the class that wanted the option to do a book cover that the instructor allowed it. I had just purchased the Darktide set and thought about doing an X-Men cover, but realized I didnt have enough of the X-Men to pull it off. Upon searching ebay, I came across the TRU 4pk of the Fantastic Four, so I bought them. After finding a Dr. Doom and a few different Fantastic Four figs at a local Target, I decided to do a Fantastic Four cover.

After the class I began my collection (which now totals over 200 Minimates) and the ideas for more covers came to me in floods. Below are the result of most of these ideas. I currently have 5 covers in the works and a few new ideas Im working on running with. Im even thinking of implimenting customization into my Minimate projects.

Id love to hear from the community here in regards to my covers. If anyone would be curious as to how these were completed, Id be glad to share my methods. I have had a few friends of mine master Photoshop just from the techniques I showed them when asked how I did these posters.

Joe

post-1674-1184489069_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489081_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489093_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489105_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489114_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489121_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489127_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489134_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489139_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489146_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489154_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489158_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489162_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489172_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489177_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489184_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489189_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489198_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184489202_thumb.jpg

Wow, you've done loads. These look great. If you could, could you post the original covers too. I look forward to seeing more of your work

I recognised some, but not all. Your Gambit custom looks pretty good too.

Ok, so I was able to dig up the scans I used for the few recreations. There were really only three that I completely recreated, those being the Astonishing X-Men, the New Avengers, and the one Captain America. I used some covers as a reference / inspiration and I also included the originals here as well. The rest were just ideas that popped into my head and they kind of fleshed themselves out as I was posing the figures and/or as I was working in Photoshop.

There are a few exceptions to this though. The X-Men with Jean Grey / Pheonix was thought up as an entry for a contest on deviantART.com. Only to find out prior to starting that the contest holder was looking for work to be done with her stock. The contest was entitled Good Girl vs Bad Girl. I immediately thought up that design, since I couldnt enter it into the contest, I decided to do the cover anyhow. Another exception is the B&W Hulk. That was actually shot with a Large Format 4x5 view camera as an assignment in my Large Format & Lighting class at AiC. I really liked how it turned out, but I couldnt leave well enough alone, so I added the title and other stuff to make it a cover. The orange/red Ghost Rider cover was inspired by the movie (and the 2007 release of the black costumed GR), the Silver Surfer cover was always a cover I wanted to do, so I followed a Photoshop tutorial on how to make planets and such, then threw the surfer in front of it all. Likewise the Hell-Cycle shown in the black Ghost Rider cover is a Marvel Legends Showdown cycle resized in Photoshop with the figure posed to fit on it. Since this was brought up, I guess Ill make a thread in the quick customs section showing my work, since most of my figures are quick customs.

Luke... I dont really have higher res versions hosted anywhere. The largest you will find is a 900x600 px version on my deviantART page (http://deviantart.jpapasso.com)... Though these are extremely large files, resized for the web. When I make a cover I start out at 24"x36" at 300ppi (10800x7200 px). If anyone wanted a Wallpaper, I could probably make one (especially since most would require a bit of shifting around of stuff to fit a monitor resolution). Just let me know which one and what resolution and Ill throw one up here.

Dan... Thanks for noticing the Gambit custom. Im on the wagon with all those who saw the gambit on the poster and have been waiting for him to be released. My gambit is actually a partial custom... He is the SDCC exclusive Cyclops head (the one that came with Dk Pheonix), with Juggernaut's hair, on gray Ghost Rider's body, with Jean Grey's jacket. Oh and Robin's staff with a piece of thick paper for his card. The reason I call him a partial custom is the colors of his clothes (including the accents on the side of his face and details on the card) were added in Photoshop. Im actually working on an actual Gambit custom, so far using the same head/hair combo (with the accents sharpied in) but so far I just have a new cyclops body (sans jacket).

I also created a few other partial customs for these covers. Redskull was gray Ghosty (sans shoulder armor) with color added in Pshop. Beast was SDCC cyclops's chest, new wolverine's jacket, arms and legs, and yellow wolverine's face with Civiliam logan's hair recolored in Pshop. This custom was made prior to the release of Astonishing beast, which I prompty bought two of and actually made my new x-men beast that I intended in that cover.

Luke... I dont really have higher res versions hosted anywhere. The largest you will find is a 900x600 px version on my deviantART page (http://deviantart.jpapasso.com)... Though these are extremely large files, resized for the web. When I make a cover I start out at 24"x36" at 300ppi (10800x7200 px). If anyone wanted a Wallpaper, I could probably make one (especially since most would require a bit of shifting around of stuff to fit a monitor resolution). Just let me know which one and what resolution and Ill throw one up here.

I would love to have that Silver Surfer one at a 1280x1024 resolution if possible. :D

I would love to have that Silver Surfer one at a 1280x1024 resolution if possible. :D

Ask and ye shall receive.

I had to play around with the locations of everything to fit the wider format, but I still think it works for the overall image. Let me know what you think.

post-1674-1184635876_thumb.jpg

They look good :yes: Specially the Hulk ones. How did you create that black and white Thing drawing?

Thanks,

Thats a good question... I took a picture of Powerhouse Thing and brought it into Photoshop. Placing a layer over it I filled that layer with white and dropped the opacity down so I could see Thing below it. Then on a second layer I traced it with the brush tool and a very small brush. Then when all was complete, I traced the outer black line on the white layer using the eraser tool, then removed the excess white outside the face.

I created a Thing face, a Wolverine face, Spidey face and Captain America face this way for use on these covers. I wasnt sure if it was gonna work, but I liked the outcome so I kept them.