UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Q&A answers Discussion thread PART 3

Shanester

I am most impressed with most of the answers...the SF2 stuff was a bit disappointing...but the news that the DR Strange info is coming soon as well as the news that the Spiderman 3 mates may not look exactly like the preview pack sounds very cool!

Jeff of the Minis

Different SM3 mates:

Good actually for those of us who bought the Preview pack... but lukewarm on powerhouse chest piece versions, Spidey isn't muscle guy...

Retailers aren't interested in BGC exclusives:

Somewhat sad considering the volume of BGC mates that may never see the light of day, but BGC seems to be a cursed license. First glance it looks good, but both AA and DST had having trouble selling people on it, and only going to get worse now the show is to be canceled.

More possible minimates to be crammed into this year?!?! Wowie. And the year is about half over too. I can't guess what it would be, but maybe they will cram something in right before Christmas. My wishful thinking is an easily obtainable Reindeer Batman to go along with the Santa Spidey and the Cylon Elf. That'd be a great minimate Christmas gift for me.

And I am glad I decided to splurge and get the preview SM3 packs. It seemed that it would be the same exact figure in the waves and I almost convinced myself to not buy it. I guess there was more to the name of "preview" pack.

Sad about the possible WWE minimates. I saw their Micro Aggression line and it didn't look very appealing to my eye. Never say never, though. DC Pocket Heroes faded away and now we have the outstanding DC minimates line.

I was pleasantly surprised at how openly Chuck spoke about character choices and I was intrigued by how the budget for paint, tampo, and tooling decides how a given wave and each Minimate will look. I guess it's not so simple to design Minimates after all!

It was a little disheartening to hear that not much interest has been shown in Kalee or the Roslin/Zarek 2-pack as exclusives though. It would be a shame if they never made it to production but then again I guess that all depends on how the first wave sells...

And the "no plans for vehicles" thing still kills me. I think kids would be way more into the line if there were vehicles and playsets and then maybe mass market retailers would be more interested in carrying them.

Having different Black/Red SM3 Spideys for the regular wave release is damn cool. Maybe we'll see the black outlines on the webbing of the suit? Whatever the differences are, they're welcomed. Can't say I'm surprised except for the big chest Spidey. It's not part of the line-up and I don't really see a use for him. It'll be interesting to see how this mate gets released.

Bummer about the vehicles, but then again they have never done well except for the mini-flyers so it's not a surprise.

The biggest thing I'm happy about are the changes in release dates. I'm hoping that they are spread out more evenly. With so many minimate licenses going, I'm sure we'll get a dose of minimates just about every month. :)

Thanks again Chuck for answering our questions!

I'm not sure I'm that thrilled that the released verisons of Spidey will be different from the preview pack. I passed on that because they were supposed to be the same as what's in the wave, and it's not like I don't have enough Spider-Men. I just hope that it's a minor difference, otherwise I'll be hitting up eBay.

I liked the fact that he said Angel wasn't ruled out from being a minimate, so if they make a movie or comic book version, I'd have all the X-Men mates as soon as possible. (I don't collect Marvel)

And the "no plans for vehicles" thing still kills me. I think kids would be way more into the line if there were vehicles and playsets and then maybe mass market retailers would be more interested in carrying them.

If we take his responses on face value, they are offering but retailers aren't interested. Of course the problem is that BSG and Speed Racer aren't kid friendly or kid focused lines so up against a brick wall. Problem is apart from Marvel, which we know can't have vehicles or playsets, all the DST Minimate licenses are collector/adult based and thus cut-off from the mass-market to a large degree.

Some interesting responses this time. Light on the coy "You never know" type responses with some more up front answers. No real word one way or another on if they'd do something related to the Marvel movies without being specifically part of the movie license, a la Giant Sized X-Men rerelease alongside the X3 movie. I'm not too surprised about the vehicles though. It sounds like no one is particularly interested in carrying the vehicles, and as has been stated above, the BSG figures are a bit more adult oriented, meaning the average kid isn't going to be too keen on the line. I agree that little ships, especially something in the building-block variety, might attract the more casual collector, but the line now has a shelf-life, thanks to the upcoming demise of the show.

Chuck certainly did seem to be more forthcoming this time around. I read "we'll know soon enough" more than once, which tells me there's even more MiniMate goodness coming out this year! Yikes!