UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Whatever happend to.....

What happend to this series?

I was really looking forward to completing the bridge crew. I pulled this off some site a few years ago and have just had it hanging around the hard drive. I'm glad to see more trek mini mates but sad it's not these.

trekminimateswave2big.jpg

Have not doubt we'll see them again in 2" form, but yeah like most of the AA 3 inchers not even the mighty Star Trek license could make these a success.

Personally I'm one of those who think the 3" fails the requirement of actually being shockinis.

*shakes fist at yesterday's alteration of such terms as mini*

It may be because I came in with 2" first and my opinions have been corrupted, but 3" Minimates don't seem... well... that Mini is all.

OK, so I understand that DST's Marvel license prevents them from doing the multiple sizes like the LOTR or DCD in the Star Trek Mates? Is it more a cost issue when it comes to the other licenses? Me, I'm just looking forward to finally seeing them on my shelves soon :D

As I say in the wiki, the sucess of the Marvel license seems to have cemented the format of Minimates, both in regards to the 2" scale and two-packs as the default packaging. It's possible that DST simply likes the scale now and it wants to ensure a Mego style single standard scale with all licenses being compatible, which would explain their rumored request/suggestion/plea to DCD to stick to 2" only.

Which I hope that DCD doesn't listen to. Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with the other lines being stuck in 2" format. But I like that that the DCD is going to stand out on my shelf from my Marvel and various other lines ;) It's something I enjoyed about the LOTR line, it's slightly different than the other Mates. I'm sitting here looking at my stack of Minimates needing to be data entry'd in and think how cool would it be to have a tall Colossus or Hulk? Pretty awesome if you ask me, which is why DCD should do their own thing. Clearly the line is doing well and if it's not broken(whis probable what most Minimate fans are saying about the DST lines), there's no need to fix it.

Some people believe the greater than 2" scale was one of the dooms of the LOTR line. Truth be told it was just past it's time. I think DCD is cool for making 2.5" minis. Brainiac is one of my favorite minis right now, cause of the size and detail. I believe 2.5" makes for a much more solid minimate, less prone to breakage, plus they have the updated knee joints. ;)

It does suck that the Marvel Line is limited by 2" and no vehicles. It really has just become DST's preference to not deviate from the 2" size for all their non-marvel licenses.

I actually hate that DCD is doing 2.5" figures, I have all my DC & Marvel in two huge display cases and having one figure that is obviously bigger than all the others ( so far) just makes him stand out like a sore thumb.

These are block figures not super accurate replicas, does anyone complain that wolverine should be 1.75" cos he's a short arse? not yet but with differing scales people will eventually start to bitch and civilisation as we know it will crumble and fail then apes will rule the planet.

Just my early morning (not had coffee yet) rant.

T.

You know I dislike that Wolverine is bigger than the noraml 2" because of the boots and mask. :P

I know what you mean about the display cases, that is why I try to place my lines separately. I still want my Hulk 2.5, Apoc 2.5, etc.. They would just look better and cooler imo than in 2" scale. I was fine with them all being 2" and thought the same about them not being super accurate replicas but LOTR line broke the trend. I think it's a little of what makes minimates different from Lego/Kubricks. Similiar to how Modern Cylons are a bit bigger than human minimates.

I'd like to know what some customizers think who have decided to make bigger than 2" mini and why?

The thing I disliked about LotR minimates was the way they chose to do the size difference. While yes, its good to have different sizes, the humans who were "normal sized" are too big to fit into any other universe of minimates. Instead, they should have found a way to scale down the hobbits, either with stubbed feet a la Penguin, or just a smaller scale minimate.

As far as DCD vs. the rest of the minimate universe, I'm not opposed to larger scale figures, but some of the characters don't really seem to warrant the change. Yes, Hulk is fricken huge, but Colossus, though bulky, still changes back to a normal person. He turns to organic steel, but he isn't on steroids to boot.

Still, since most things minimate are under the 2" restriction (or just don't warrant large characters), I'm not sure how I feel that DC is raising the bar. As Timbo said, the two or three DC figures that breach the 2" barrier are going to just look out of place surrounded by the several hundred 2" minimates that exist.

I agree that LOTR humans look like giants and they should have done with the penguin feet on the hobits, but the feet just weren't made at that time. I totally agree with you guys about them being out of place to an extent. When LOTR came on it became an unbalanced universe. I have my LOTR mates to a separate wall because of this and keep my other lines separate. It's an unbalanced universe as it is with the 3" minimate. I view them and have them displayed separately as well.

I love that DCD's vary in size, however (since these aren't relegated to realism) should only be used in extreme size differences. That is not to say that characters like Thor, Colossus (while tall in stature) should be 2.5"...2" works fine for them. Examples of where 2.5" WOULD shine: Hulk, Abomination, Apocolipse, Darkseid, Gorilla Grod, Doomsday, maybe Big Barda, etc.; characters with monstrous proportions or demanding a more menacing presence. Characters like Giganta or Giant Man would be even cooler (IMO) were 3" possible. The only choice so far that I disagree with would be Bane. While he is a big man, I just don't think that his proportions are SO large as to warrant a 2.5" mini; a thicker belt "spacer" or boots would have sufficed.

And as for the statement about LotR, I completely agree that 2" for humans and a "shortened" (like the wonderfully convincing "slipper-foot" Penguin)body for the Hobbits would have been better.

Sounds like you and I display the same way AJL :thumbsup: I guess I'm in the minority when I say I liked the multiple scales of the LOTR and now DCD Mates. But I think this is best suited for another thread, as we've gone into a totally different direction of the original thread :lol: In a attempt to get back on course, does anyone think the Trek Mates will debut this summer at SDCC?

Was that announced in one of the Q&A's with DST or are you going off everyone's street date AJL? I'm kind of hoping we see them sooner than later myself.

Was that announced in one of the Q&A's with DST or are you going off everyone's street date AJL? I'm kind of hoping we see them sooner than later myself.

DST themselves have a date of 7/29/2007.

So it's close. I'm thinking they could possibly have them for the Con