UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Buying a New Computer

neolego

Alright, my computer has been in a "nursing home" state for a while, so it's time to upgrade. However, I don't want to spend a lot of money. Right now I'm looking at a compter at Best Buy. It's a Acer Aspire. I have never heard of Acer before in my life. I've only owned 2 computers and they were both HP. Part of me is afraid of trying something new and I have liked my HP, but I can almost get double the performace for about the same price with his Acer and from talking to the Best Buy guy he liked it. So, that brings me to you guys. You all are about the only people I trust on this world wide web, so what do you guys think? Does anyone here own an Acer product? Has anyone had a Good or Bad experience with an Acer Computer? Any help or storys would be great in making my final decision, I need all the input I can get. neo

I would try to hold off as long as you can until Windows Vista gets all its bugs and other issues out. I plan to upgrade to Vista in about a year. My coworker's neighbor had to buy a new computer and it seems all new computers from the big stores are preinstalled with Vista now. The neighbor couldn't use her old printer since Vista did not have a compatible driver yet. So my coworker had to find a special driver online just to get basic printing available. Maybe others here have some more reassuring things to say about switching to Vista. But if you really need one now, what can you do?

Thanks for the replies guys. I really like what I've seen and I've played around with it for the past 2 days at Best Buy. It seems to run better then my work computer which is a nice Dell. So, I guess I'm going to take the plunge. I know that Best Buy has a 14 day returns policy of anything purchased at the store, so if it just completely sucks when I get home I guess I can always take it back :). neo

How can you not get vista? Every computer that I browsed at Best Buy came pre-loaded with Vista. neo

You might need to find some local Mom and Pop shop. That is the only place I can think of that wouldn't be carrying Vista yet, but then you might not be saving any money.

Question to everyone else:

If you install XP on a Vista pre-installed computer, can you reinstall Vista later? If so, then I would suggest that route Neo. I feel it would be a waste of money if you can't install Vista at a later date.

Sounds like car advice Ady :thumbsup: Same thing applies there, don't buy the first year of a car, as there's always recalls of some sort :rolleyes: Neo, you might also try Costco for a computer, unless your just replacing the tower? Something I like about Costco is they'll take anything back. While I still have my box for the 360 and haven't had a problem :unsure: I did have a problem with a paper shredder and just took it back and they replaced it with another one. Like you, I'm in need of a new tower at least. But don't want to deal with Vista either and I have a friend who works for Microsoft :P