UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Still Awaiting My First Purchase!?

allsey

Big comic book and graphic novel fan - however, unfornately living in the Isle of Man. Where you may ask? Exactly! Its a small island in the Irish Sea, between Ireland and England.

Recently came across minimates and kubricks - great detail and collection! Mentioned this to the girlfriend a fews weeks back and yesterday she surprised me - she had bought me some kubricks. As a big fan of Star Wars also, a Jedi Luke and Darth Vadar were ideal to start my collection - a kubrick Hobgoblin thrown in for good measure too.

Now this is my question - with regards to the the Marvel Universe, do you consider the minimates to be better? From what I have seen the Spiderman minimates look awesome - not keen on the round heads of the kubrick counterpart. However, the Juggernaut and Magneto kubrick counterpart appeal more to me.

Opinions and help starting my collection would be appreciated (little chance of a shop here stocking either products).

Hey Welcome to MMMV Allsey,

Yep We're horribly biased as the name says we're minimate fans.

I have some Kubricks, the sex pistols set is simply awesome for example.

However Minimates are much better than Kubricks IMO, the first and most obvious is articulation, minimates have a pretty cool 14 points which is pretty impressive for a 2" figure :) ( kubricks lack knee, elbow and ankle joints)

The second is the kubricks are jsut too chunky, which looks great on the bulkier characters figures but makes most of them look odd.

If you have any questions on minimates this is the place to ask , we might be able to answer kubrick stuff too :)

T.

p.s. We have quiet a few UK members who should be able to point you in the direction of decnt places to find these in the UK.

Welcome! I will agree with whats been said. Kubrick is nice, but Minimates are the best. I love the detail of my Star Wars Kubricks, but the Marvel Minimates are much better designed and articulated.

If you need help finding minis, this is a good place start.

Cheers TBT! The response I was looking for.

Have my eye on the Unmasked Spiderman and Dr. Octopus set - think it would be good starting point. As you also pointed out, with regards to the articulation, this could only help in displaying them.

Speaking from personal experience. Kubricks are cool because they get such great and off the wall licenses. Meat Gear Solid, Neon Genesis, Star Wars are some of my favorites.

But Minimates have better articulation, are cheaper (lots cheaper), and are more accessible (at least in Tucson Arizona).

Cheers TBT! The response I was looking for.

Have my eye on the Unmasked Spiderman and Dr. Octopus set - think it would be good starting point. As you also pointed out, with regards to the articulation, this could only help in displaying them.

Cool Glad we can help :) unmasked spidey/dr ock aren't minimates at their finest, can I suggest maybe getting regular spidey with venom if you're a spidey fan or pretty much any other sets than that one :P

www.minimatescentral.com is a great place to see reviews of past sets, obviously the older the sets the more difficult it will be to find them, although by asking the right people or looking in the right places almost every figure can be found :)

BTW I will warn you though, these figures do become adictive after you have a few.

T.

If you're into flexibilty, then Minimates are definitely the way to go!

BTW, I found out last month that my grandpa comes from the Isle of Man. :lol:

Shanester: Star Wars Kubricks are still available??!!

Glomit

Star Wars Kubricks are still available??!!

Yes indeed. I received a bunch of Series 7 about a month ago. My Royal Guards are standing watch about my Minimate-inhabited Batcave and the Scout Troopers are having their way with Boushh Leia. The Gamorrean Guard and Kitty Pride seem to be having fun though.:D

Welcome :D

well if ur still looking for the spidey/doc ock, i could maybe get them, but i only trade for other MiniMates(cause of the biglack of newer mates in my country)

Do you know whereabouts? Such a small place. My girlfriend has relatives (brother and family) in Canada - just thought, could ask her to arrange for some to be sent over. She has a brother in Rhode Island too come to think about it.

Douglas. He can be pretty secretive about these things. Half the time, we think he works for MI5. :lol:

About Spidey and Carnage, do some asking around, I know that some comic shop owners will show customers things that are not on display, usually when the customer knows their stuff.

Glomit

Hopefully have my hands on the new wave Wednesday. Friendly with a few people in the local book shop and mentioned minimates. Seems the owner gets his hands on one of each set - direct from diamondselect. First refusal for me thankfully.

Hopefully have my hands on the new wave Wednesday. Friendly with a few people in the local book shop and mentioned minimates. Seems the owner gets his hands on one of each set - direct from diamondselect. First refusal for me thankfully.

• 3 weeks later...

First purchases:

Captain America/Nick Fury

Ryu/Akuma

Reaction:

Alot smaller than anticpated, but very detailed. The hair piece of Nick is loose?

Just waiting for wave 13 to come in. Can't wait for the Avengers too - especially the Scarlet Witch and Thor.

Yeah, I found them smaller when I first got 'em. This was probably because I had purchased some LOTR Mates(3") before getting my first Marvel Minimates, and the difference feels pretty big.

But let me tell you, once you get a few, you'll want a whole load more! :biggrin:

Glomit

The 2" sets currently used are A LOT smaller than when I started (3" Star Trek Mini Mates).

I HAD some Kubricks (some rare ones actually). I bought them because I had just picked up my very first minimates and loved them!!

But, upon opening the Kubricks I didn't have the same love or excitement.

Welcome to the boards... And no, we're not biased. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Addictive is not the word!

I have been doing some searching around, ebay mostly - I have found it too difficult not to buy. Got my hands on a few Lords of Rings figures, but two sets I am most proud of are the Magneto/Prof. X and BD Spiderman/Venom with variant head. Delighted.