UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

A sad day for X-Men fans

The_Donster

I was sitting here catching up with my e-mails and day to day when my wife, who was watching the news notices something about X-Men creator dead at 63. Well come to find out it was Dave Cockrum, who pretty muched reinvigorated a series that was pretty close to cancellation when he and Lein Wein picked it up as artist and writer to create the new team of X-Men. As a child I read alot of these issues, along with Avengers and many more comics than my parents could stand, so this news saddens me and I thought I would share this with some of my closest friends. So let's raise our glasses(or cups of whatever) to a legends passing, truly the world is a little sadder.

I was going to post this exact same thing too, I heard about it this morning from my dad. It's sad, really, when Stan Lee (not that I have anything against him) can live to be 83 and a guy like Cockrum dies twenty-years younger. You were a great, Dave, and you won't be forgotten. That link you posted won't show up on my browser, but it seems he died in Superman pajamas, under a Batman blanket, and will be cremated in a Green Lantern shirt. I'm serious by the way. Goodbye, Mr. Cockrum.

Yeah, if you do a google search under Dave Cockrum, it's the NYC Times article. There was a soundbite in USA Today, but this one actually seemed to be a little more personal. I remembering reading about his ongoing health issues last year and being stuck in a VA Hospital while his wife was at home in SC. I grew up on this stuff and comics was my first experience to collecting when I was younger. While some might think it's corrupting the young, it definately helped me throughout my school years.

Man, that sucks. That's depressing. I don't read a ton of comics, but I've read enough to be saddened by this. The saddest part is, there's just more to come, as many classic comic writers are older. :(