UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Kansas City area Comic Convention

ImABarRoomHero

Hey guys, just wanted to check and see if any of you dudes might be close to the KC area. If so, I HIGHLY recommend hitting up Planet Comicon. It's a fairly small scale Con but always brings big names in. Turns out there are a lot of celebrities, artists and writers that live in KC and they really like to make an appearance here. So it turns out to be more of an intimate experience as opposed to just getting an autograph and pushed out of the way. Last year I ended up getting smashed with Jason Aaron, Cullen Bunn, Jeremy Bulloch, Ben Templesmith, Daniel Logan (huge douche, wouldn't quit hitting on my wife) and a bunch of other comic dudes. Also, it has a banging sales floor. Got at least two booths that bring huge rubber maid bins full of Mates as well. Just wanted to let you dudes know about this con, definitely a cool one. Planet Comicon

Edited by ImABarRoomHero

If I lived in Kansas City, I'd definitely be there. I think smaller, regional cons are lots more fun than the big monoliths that are SDCC, NYCC, all the Wizard shows, ect. It's like the difference between seeing a band in a club or in an arena, and I've seen too many bands in clubs to go back to arena shows. Also, cons like that are usually where you can find the best deals, since dealers are usually looking to unload inventory. :thumbsup:

If I lived in Kansas City, I'd definitely be there. I think smaller, regional cons are lots more fun than the big monoliths that are SDCC, NYCC, all the Wizard shows, ect. It's like the difference between seeing a band in a club or in an arena, and I've seen too many bands in clubs to go back to arena shows. Also, cons like that are usually where you can find the best deals, since dealers are usually looking to unload inventory. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, there's a dude every year that barricades himself in with his tables and has just about every Legends, MU, Classics, DCU and Minimate laying out in front of him. He takes no breaks throughout the two days and banks. Best part is, now that we've been going every year, he remembers our group that runs there and cuts us awesome deals. My wife picked up a Wonder Woman figure and an Artemis Variant and asked how much, right as he said $40 each he saw she was with me and said. "Oh you two are together? $25 for the both of em". This year I think I'm going to offer him a flat price on his MM bin, regardless what's in it.

Hey cool, I'll see you there then. I'm a KC local and will be there in the Artist's Alley this year. In fact, I'm filling out the paperwork tonight and sending it out tomorrow. My brother and I are both artists and we did a bunch of sketch cards recently for Topps on the next Star Wars Galaxy Series of trading cards. (Galaxy 7 due out next month) We'll kind of be promoting that as well as selling prints of our other artwork.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bah, wish I woulda saw this. I rocked the hell outta this con. Filled holes in various collections especially my mates. Unfortunately only 3 vendors had them this year, and the one that usually has a number of bins had one of his trucks stolen a week or two prior and lost 2 of 3 large mate bins. Regardless of all that, it was a great year.