UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Damn you Sony!

AdyCarter

I saw that yesterday. I didn't realize that was where the blind boxes came from.

I don't know how I feel about Sony suing them until they shut down though. I read quite a bit about it - both pro and con - yesterday. It seems Lik Sang had a history of crossing the line in the past, offering mod chips, etc. Also, it could have been any of the 3 game companies that had the ability to do this, since they were selling all three systems - if what I read was correct.

However, Sony suing them in England where they knew Lik Sang did not have a physical presence (and would be less likely to appear in court) was pretty shady. The fact that some of Sony's top people purchased the PSP (before they could legally buy it in their home country - which was the basis of the most recent lawsuit) from Lik Sang is pretty hypocritical IMO as well.

Really, to avoid this, all they needed to do is set up shop as an Ebay seller and they would have been fine, since Sony isn't going to go after Ebay (for doing the exact same thing) anytime soon.

I wonder what they're going to do with any remaining stock?

Here you go JL:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - OUT OF BUSINESS NOTICE

Hong Kong, October 24th of 2006 - Lik-Sang.com, the popular gaming retailer from Hong Kong, has today announced that it is forced to close down due to multiple legal actions brought against it by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Sony claimed that Lik-Sang infringed its trade marks, copyright and registered design rights by selling Sony PSP consoles from Asia to European customers, and have recently obtained a judgment in the High Court of London (England) rendering Lik-Sang's sales of PSP consoles unlawful.

This really sucks. I always buy my Nintendo collectibles from them. :(

Thanks for the info Luke.

This really sucks. I always buy my Nintendo collectibles from them. :(

Yeah that sucks. Yep I've bought from them forever, especially Nintendo gear.

Can't say I'm surprised and thought this would happen eventually. Damn Sony needs to sqweeze some cash to pay for their R&D on PS3 :lol:

The simple answer. Boycott sony. There was a major boycott on Sony products over the earlier part of the year. This was in protest at Sony's latest copy protection software on it's cd's writing to the root directory on peoples PC's and behaving a bit like a virus.

There was such a brouhaha that Sony relented. Pulled the 'infected cd's' replaced defective product that had already been sold and issued a fix for the copy protection.

Consumer power 1 = Massive Faceless Corporation 0.

If Sony's gaming consumer base boycotted it's products it'd be stuffed with a capital F U C K E D!

If Sony's gaming consumer base boycotted it's products it'd be stuffed with a capital F U C K E D!

I agree. Unfortunately, the chances of all the gamers out there boycotting Sony when the PS3 comes out are about nil.

Personally, it's more of a price thing for me, rather than a protest over Sony's ethics (or lack thereof). There's no way I can afford $600 for the damn thing. Not to mention getting my wife to sign off on it. :D $600 is a ridiculous price for console game system. Spend a few $$ more and get a PC.

Anyway. I can however, afford a Wii. Since this will primarily be for the kids AND the Wii is backwards compatible with their GameCube games, that's the system I'll be looking to buy this holiday season.

Neolego will love you if you buy a Wii :P

Me, Im sticking with my 360, it does everything I've ever wanted a console to do and more. Oddly I didnt even by it to play games, I bought it because it can wirelessly stream any downloaded videos off my PC and display them on my TV...

Now living in the UK where we get most decent shows months behind the US, you can see why thats such an awesome feature for me..

I really do think that the PS3 is gonna struggle... I cant really see any reason why people would buy one, its late to market (even more so over here), over priced and is using an unproven technology in Blu-Ray...

Yup there is no mass-market demand for Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD) yet. Sony has potentially gimped it's latest console to try and promote yet another propriatory format. Doesn't it ever learn? UMD fiasco anyone?

Not to mention it's memory sticks vs standard memory cards used everywhere else.... :rolleyes:

Yup there is no mass-market demand for Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD) yet. Sony has potentially gimped it's latest console to try and promote yet another propriatory format. Doesn't it ever learn? UMD fiasco anyone?

Not to mention it's memory sticks vs standard memory cards used everywhere else.... :rolleyes:

Or it's proprietary MP3 format on its digital walkmans. Caught a bit of a cold on that too as I recall.

Anyone else think that Sony are becoming more and more like the evil "Shinra Company" from Final Fantasy VII and the Advent Children movie? (both ironically released by Sony :D )