UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Gotta Love Those Logo Mates!

Let me start my new life in a new forum by making a new confession:

I like the promo minimates!

I prefer to NOT call them blanks, because they actually have character and as much attitude as any other 'mate out there, so I'll stick with promo or logo mates.

Why do I like them so? I believe it's because the graphic gives each one some definition and personality. But the lack of a face lets you read into them whatever expression you wish. It's sort of like reading a book, versus watching a movie. I've noticed that what people get from a book is a lot more varied than movie responses, because the reader invests himself into imagining the book's universe; a movie is all laid out for you. Same with the promo mates.

Secondly, they're a nice little subset to collect. I'll never have the finances, time or connections to be a miniMate completist. But I can satisfy that urge by completing subsets in the line, like all 3" mates. The promos are nice because there are some rarities in the set, and the release rate is something I can keep up with. Although last year's Wizard World flood had me scrambling! (Thanks, Shanester)

In any event, the promo mates have become one of my favorite accidental armies. :)

Promo%20Pals.jpg

Great stuff Cappy.

If people read my Promo reviews you should see that I love the promos for pretty much the same reasons as you.

I think the Minimates figure itself has such a great amount of character to it that doesn't really matter what it's got painted/sculpted on.

Secondly, they're a nice little subset to collect. I'll never have the finances, time or connections to be a miniMate completist.

I agree, Cappy. But the older promos seem even harder to find than the Batcopter. Ebay doesn't seem to have them very often. Does anyone know of another place to find them?

Its Ebay or trading really. They are pretty scarce. Stuckakid occaisonally gets a couple... Its those 2003 blanks that are the killer. Although most of them are pretty tricky. I'd love to have a Cappy style open set but it was a nightmare getting them in the first place.

Its those 2003 blanks that are the killer.

Yeah, that's what I'm finding. It seems like there should be more of these in circulation. People often seem to get rid of their minimate collections on eBay but not blanks. Where are they all hiding?

And is $10 each a fair price for the white Wizard World Chicago and red SDCC?

The 2003 blanks were once reasonably common go knows where they are all hiding, the red and yellow are the easiest to find, followed by blue and green... getting any of them sealed is nigh impossible... Infact if anyone ever wants to open theirs... PLEASE DONT! I'll do a deal with you to get you open ones or something.. Despite coming out before hand the 3" blanks seem a lot easier to get.

$10 is a reasonable price for each of those, it all depends how much you want them, heck I paid $50 for my Mr T.

Despite coming out before hand the 3" blanks seem a lot easier to get. $10 is a reasonable price for each of those, it all depends how much you want them, heck I paid $50 for my Mr T.

Yeah, I'm still a little bent out of shape over losing an auction for 25 3" AA logo exclusives (purple bags) - I should have increased my max bid... <_<

And I'm not sure I want them that badly. I should probably just wait until Shanester's collection arrives. That should keep me sane for a few days.