UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

what i read today

most recent casualty reports from recent attacs on lebinon and on isals

Sunday’s deaths brought to 93 the number of Israelis killed, including 45 soldiers, the 12 reservists and 36 civilians. Israel’s attacks on Lebanon have killed at least 591 people, including 509 civilians, 29 Lebanese soldiers and at least 53 Hezbollah guerrillas. -msn.com

keep these souls and people in your thoughts

No, it doesn't need to be said. At least not on a forum about toys. If people want to watch the death toll climb on CNN they can do so.

Yes, but this part of the forum is to "Discuss anything and everything." So, I feel, that anyone can share their own opinion in this part of the forum, because that's what this section is for.

Now, back on topic: I can't believe how much conflict there is in the Middle East right now. It's unbelievable...

He's not discussing anything. He threw up some numbers that he ripped from MSN.com. And he misspelled both attacks and Lebanon which clearly shows how important the situation is to him. And I'm guessing that "isals" is supposed to be Israel but who knows...

What's happening in the Middle East is a complex situation and I know enough about it to know that I don't know nearly enough to speak intelligently about it. There are forums where this can be discussed and that is not here.

He's not discussing anything. He threw up some numbers that he ripped from MSN.com. And he mispelled both attacks and Lebanon which clearly shows how important the situation is to him.

What's happening in the Middle East is a complex situation and I know enough about it to know that I don't know nearly enough to speak intelligently about it. There are forums where this can be discussed and that is not here.

So are you saying that just because someone finds something on MSN and they spell some words wrong means they don't care about what's happening. I find things out theat I didn't know before thru MSN, but I still cared. That's one of MSN's purposes. I've misspelled things, but I still care.

And also, Sure, the Middle East is complex right now, but I can still talk about it, regardless of how much I know. I am right now. It's called freedom of speech.

Now, I'm not trying to start a flame war between us, but I'm just giving my point of view, which, as far as I know, I'm allowed to do, as long as I don't do it in a disrespectful manner, which, as far as I'm concerned, I'm not doing.

No, there's nothing wrong with caring that people are dying in a general way or being concerned that lives are being lost but this is a very specific conflict. It is too easy to say "keep these souls and people in your thoughts" and "I can't believe how much conflict there is in the Middle East right now..."

You are both disrespecting the people involved by thinking you can throw your hats in the ring with a few condolences and bad feelings. You want to discuss the war? Okay, talk about how the US support of Israel is keeping a steady flow of weapons into the region. Talk about the remarks that this is a proxy war for Syria. And how exactly does Palestine factor in to all of this?

This is not so light a subject that you can simply quote numbers or feign interest.

And yes, you do have the right to say whatever you want. What I'm saying is that this discussion should be taken elsewhere.

Well, maybe "I can't believe how much conflict there is in the Middle East" is the only thing that needs to be said.

If you don't want to talk about this subject, that why did you even post here. You are not a mod or admin, so let them deal with it. They will delete or leave it as they see fit.

And, I don't get how I'm "Disrespecting the people involved". The reason I posted in the first place is to express my opinion, which I said before(and you agreed with me), I'm ALLOWED to do.

I'm not "feigning interest" as you put it. There is an old saying: "Quality not Quantity". It doesn't matter how many words I put into a response. Sometimes you don't need a whole paragraph to exprees your opinion. Sometimes all you need is 1 sentance.

Also, as you put it: "This is not a light subject". No one ever said it was. This is a very serious subject!

So, apparantly, condolences aren't enough these days. So no one one ever give your condolences to anyone else ever again.

EDIT: Wow, look at all the spelling mistakes. That must mean I don't care.....

And also, Sure, the Middle East is complex right now, but I can still talk about it, regardless of how much I know. I am right now. It's called freedom of speech.

If you believe that a person can chime in on a subject regardless of how well informed they are, well, I think you know how ridiculous that sounds.

Well, maybe "I can't believe how much conflict there is in the Middle East" is the only thing that needs to be said.

If you don't want to talk about this subject, that why did you even post here. You are not a mod or admin, so let them deal with it. They will delete or leave it as they see fit.

And, I don't get how I'm "Disrespecting the people involved". The reason I posted in the first place is to express my opinion, which I said before, I'm ALLOWED to do.

Just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean you should. If someone is interested in the war they can go to MSN or CNN or any other place for that info. This is a toy forum not a political arena. What I was saying to CRISIS_Survivor is that this isn't the place for that info. Do you really think a toy forum is the best place to list recent casualties of war? I am saying it isn't. I'm not saying CS can't talk about it - I'm saying there are more appropriate venues.

And I chimed in because I am offended by someone who comes into a recreational area and puts up death notices. I know there is a war going on right now. I see it everywhere in the media and I don't need to see it here. I doubt CS is going to playgrounds and posting this info. He is, of course, free to do that but that would also be inappropriate.

And you might not think you are disrespecting those involved by thinking you can sum up all that needs to be said in one sentence but try talking to a WWII vet, someone that actually fought in the war, and say, "Man, those Germans sure were bad." Ask him if that sums it up in one sentence.

Generally political topics are not encouraged because they usually get rather heated.

I have to agree with Fujis that whilst this forum (The Minimate Arms) is a general forum, some things are best off not being discussed. A situation as complex as the Middle East conflict is one of them.