UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Attention Souther California Star Wars Fans

Jad

I know there are several Southern California members on these boards, and I thought this might be of interest to you!

On March 8, I went along with the San Diego Star Wars Society to the original filming location used for the Sarlacc Pit and Sail Barge set, near Yuma, AZ. The trip was a blast, and we were able to dig in the sand and find actual pieces of the barge and the Sarlacc Pit. You can read a little about the trip on my blog, JadOnTV.com. I would love to plan another day trip there, hopefully before the end of April to avoid the summer heat.

I'm thinking of a group of 4 to 8 people, and I already have one person from LA who says he's interested. Here's an idea of what the day would look like: leave San Diego at 6 AM to arrive at the site at 9, spend the day exploring the site and digging up treasures, then head home around 4 to arrive back in San Diego at 7.

Here's a list of what we would need to bring:

- At least one 4 wheel drive vehicle, and the willingness to drive it over loose sands. Alternately, we could split the cost of renting a Hummer or something similar.

- $35 to cover entrance to the area for each vehicle ($25 if someone already has a vehicle-mounted orange flag). Also, we should all split gas costs.

- Sack lunch, sunblock, wide-brimmed hat, WATER, etc. You will be in the desert sun for most of the day, with NO SHADE! Temps ought to be in the high 80's.

- GPS. Useful, but not necessary.

- Shovels and bags for carrying home loot.

If there are any adventurous fans in the San Diego, El Centro, Yuma, or nearby areas who would seriously consider an outing like this, please drop me a PM! I'd like to keep this to adults 18 years or older, but we may be able to include younger Star Wars fans if they are accompanied by an adult Star Wars fan!

I know there are several Southern California members on these boards, and I thought this might be of interest to you!

On March 8, I went along with the San Diego Star Wars Society to the original filming location used for the Sarlacc Pit and Sail Barge set, near Yuma, AZ. The trip was a blast, and we were able to dig in the sand and find actual pieces of the barge and the Sarlacc Pit. You can read a little about the trip on my blog, JadOnTV.com. I would love to plan another day trip there, hopefully before the end of April to avoid the summer heat.

I'm thinking of a group of 4 to 8 people, and I already have one person from LA who says he's interested. Here's an idea of what the day would look like: leave San Diego at 6 AM to arrive at the site at 9, spend the day exploring the site and digging up treasures, then head home around 4 to arrive back in San Diego at 7.

Here's a list of what we would need to bring:

- At least one 4 wheel drive vehicle, and the willingness to drive it over loose sands. Alternately, we could split the cost of renting a Hummer or something similar.

- $35 to cover entrance to the area for each vehicle ($25 if someone already has a vehicle-mounted orange flag). Also, we should all split gas costs.

- Sack lunch, sunblock, wide-brimmed hat, WATER, etc. You will be in the desert sun for most of the day, with NO SHADE! Temps ought to be in the high 80's.

- GPS. Useful, but not necessary.

- Shovels and bags for carrying home loot.

If there are any adventurous fans in the San Diego, El Centro, Yuma, or nearby areas who would seriously consider an outing like this, please drop me a PM! I'd like to keep this to adults 18 years or older, but we may be able to include younger Star Wars fans if they are accompanied by an adult Star Wars fan!

Isn't this how most horror movies start?