UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I NOW have a new phone...

The_Donster

But I need to get the right one for me. At one point I was looking at the IPhone and decided to wait on that one. Then I looked at the LG Voyager and decided to wait on that one too, for the same reasons as the IPhone, I want to make sure they work out the kinks before getting that one, much like not getting a new car the first years of the remodel :D Now I have friends telling me to look into the Blackberry phone, but I just don't know? Here's what I do know I need in a phone. Internet access, navigation, blue tooth, camera that takes nice pictures, access to my e-mails and note taking capabilities, preferrable on a daily base, for my business. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? In June our state is making it mandatory for all phone users to have blue tooth capable phones while driving. Now my job has me on the road alot and I'd like to be ahead of the game without paying for things I don't need. Thanks in advance, your help is appreciated.

Who's your carrier Don? Or is that not a factor at this point - you're looking for the phone to dictate the carrier perhaps?

Personally, I'm with Verizon. (They're way more reliable than AT&T here in my area. I had AT&T for 3 years and dropped calls daily. Since switching almost a year ago, I think I've dropped 1 call. Therefore, no Iphone for me until it's available thru another carrier.) I'm using the EnV - the model just before the Voyager. I absolutely love it. Once and a while I'll bump the phone and the music I've downloaded will start playing, but other than that (and I think that's me - not the phone) I've had no problems. IMO LG phones are very reliable and the features are solid. The one negative thing I've read about them, as it relates to Verizon, is that you can't customize the layout of the features. I'm not going to be programming or writing code for my phone anytime soon, so this really isn't a problem for me. :)

Camera wise, it has a 2 megapixel camera with a closeable cover - something I personally like vs having the lens out there all the time - and a flash, which is unique feature IIRC. I took the pics in this thread with it. For a camera phone, they're not too bad IMO.

It accepts up to a 1.0 GB SD Micro card for additonal storage.

Who's your carrier Don? Or is that not a factor at this point - you're looking for the phone to dictate the carrier perhaps?

Personally, I'm with Verizon. (They're way more reliable than AT&T here in my area. I had AT&T for 3 years and dropped calls daily. Since switching almost a year ago, I think I've dropped 1 call. Therefore, no Iphone for me until it's available thru another carrier.) I'm using the EnV - the model just before the Voyager. I absolutely love it. Once and a while I'll bump the phone and the music I've downloaded will start playing, but other than that (and I think that's me - not the phone) I've had no problems. IMO LG phones are very reliable and the features are solid. The one negative thing I've read about them, as it relates to Verizon, is that you can't customize the layout of the features. I'm not going to be programming or writing code for my phone anytime soon, so this really isn't a problem for me. :)

Camera wise, it has a 2 megapixel camera with a closeable cover - something I personally like vs having the lens out there all the time - and a flash, which is unique feature IIRC. I took the pics in this thread with it. For a camera phone, they're not too bad IMO.

It accepts up to a 1.0 GB SD Micro card for additonal storage.

i'll second the EnV just picked up a pair about a month ago for the wife and myself and its a great phone with a nice flip open feature with keyboard which makes websurfing/email a breeze. -M

I knew there was something I forgot. I'm with Qwest at the moment and looking for more options in a carrier. While we haven't had a problem with dropped calls, we have been a customer for a long time and they don't seem to be giving us any incentives to stay. Sounds messed up I know, but it's like renting an apartment and paying more than a new tenant after living there for several years. Can you guys give me a link to the phones you are recommending. Quick question for Rad, is this a phone I can get over here? I'm not sure if you can tell, but I'm not usually the one who makes the phone decisions. But with my job, I need to step it up on my next phone. Also, do you think AT&T services have improved since Cingular merged with them and is there a particular Blackberry that is better than the others. Not dismissing your suggestions, just trying to get my ducks in a row before heading out to look at phones. Thanks for the assistance, you guys ROCK!!

I'm no expert - I really relied on a lot of hands on testing of demos at the mall kiosks and the reviews at Cnet. (This is not a paid celebrity endorsement of Cnet reviews. Although I would accept compensation if asked...) Everything they pointed out on each phone I was looking at was dead on accurate. I've found them to be unbiased and better than Consumer Reports. (Free reviews are better than paid subscription reviews, right? :D)

AT&T has been partnered with Cingulair for a while now. If their service in your area was spotty previously, the name change wouldn't have improved anything. A good source to evaluate providers in your area is CellReception.com. Just plug in your zip code and it'll give you info based on actual customer/consumer reviews of service in your area.

I love CNet and have been using them for my 1.5 year quest to get a flatscreen :lol: I'll also try out that other link to see where the blackouts are in my area too. The nice thing I can say about Qwest, was when we were in Jamaica, we were able to call home and let them know we would be late getting back a few years ago. Appreciate the feedback, more than I've gotten anywhere else at the moment :P

Quick question for Rad, is this a phone I can get over here?

I hadn't even considered that it wouldn't be available to the US, Don. So I clicked on HTC's website to check and it appears that Continental America is the only place in the world that you can't get one. My gast is flabbered! :blink: Sorry mate.

Don't worry about it Rad, it's Murphy's Law here in America. If the thing works well, it won't sell here in our country :P Does anyone have a Blackberry in the forum? I'm really trying to get some feedback on those phones. Something I'm not wild about with the LG Voyager is the flip down keyboard option. It's bad enough I'm going to have to 10 key with my Dwarf hands, don't give me something that I'll break when I drop it :rolleyes: It was one of the things I liked about the IPhone, the keypad was built into the phone. Unfortunately no telling when the new and improved version of that will be hitting the stores :(

Problem solved, the wife went with the Samsung Blackjack II(I've got the red one) and I can't wait to play with it. This should give me the portable office I need, since my job is on the go and my office is at my home. Anyway, appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Yeah, we switched from Qwest to AT & T. I'll let you know how the service goes, but she did her research and I'm confident in that :thumbsup: Me? I'm the muscle, she's the brains of operation :lol: Which is why we'll be heading to SDCC this year. Hope to see some Miniversians there this year. Let me know if we're doing a t-shirt/polo themed one like a few years back or not?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so far, so good. I'm actually posting on the phone as we speak. The hardest part is trying to 10 key with these mitts of mine :P Currently there only seems to be one forum that I can't post in from my phone. Which is kind of weird, since I don't have that problem here.

Don

I am glad you like the blackjack. I had one for about a year, and thought it was a pretty good smart phone. I just recenty switched over to an iphone and have to say it is heads and shoulders over the blackjack. But then again I did not rely on instant email on either phone, so it might be a better device for that. Anyway I got off target, I meant to tell you I have had AT&T now since they have bought out cingulair and cingulair for 3 years prior to that and have had zero issues with them

moc847

Other than not being able to post in forums supported by phpbb2 software I'm not having any issues either. I was able to do my paperwork while in the field and it's not too complicated for a technical retard like myself. MOC is there any carrying case you recommend that will keep the glass clean and still protect the phone? Right now I'm carrying it in my shirt pocket and the last thing I want to do is use that insurance we invested in :P Appreciate the feedback on AT & T too, hope this is the start to a good thing. Once IPhone gets a few years in them, I'll most likely upgrade to that one. But for now, pretty happy with our purchase.