UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Any paintballers here?

minivenom

I'm going to play paintball with some friends at church and I've never played before and I'm not really sure what to get. I'm not trying to be a pro or anything, but I want something that will have decent accuracy and will be able to withstand the rigors of playing in the woods.

One guy recommended a Tippmann A5. Can anybody else second this recommendation, or even recommend something else? I'm looking to spend in the $200-400 range. Any help for this complete PB newbie will be appreciated. :)

I would go with a Spyder buddy! That is what I have and I love it. Mine is a little older, but It's still the best of any of my friends that I play with.

This is the one I have:

Spyder Pilot

Here is another one that I've heard is really good, same brand just different model:

Spyder

What you are normally looking for is "SPS" or Shots Per Second. Both of these guys get a blazing 20 SPS and that is one of the highest I've seen (at the Sub $500) level. It doesn't have to be a Spyder, but make sure you get a good SPS and I would also recommend Alluminum over Plastic!

As for the "other stuff", You need to make sure you have a Mask and extra tubes to carry paintballs in. Depending on the length of the game and number of people playing you may go through a few hundred balls per game so you will need something to carry the extra ammo with.

Oh, and have fun! This was my all time favorite activity in when I was in the Youth Group. I had to rent my stuff from the place my first time (never great stuff) and I loved it so much it made me go out and buy no own. I still use it today! neo

The Tippman custom 98 is probably one of the most reliable markers out there. You can get one for a little over a hundred bucks. A lot of mu friends started out with them many, many years ago and they all still shoot great. I have owned a few Spyders too and they have all been great. I know the electronic Spyders are a lot of fun, but aren't allowed on a lot of fields. If you are playing in the woods with friends then I'd look into the electronic Spyders.

Don't go overboard if you're just getting into the sport. It is expensive to play (paint still costs quite a bit at fields). If you play the occasional game it's not bad. I have been playing for over ten years and have actually pretty much switched over to airsoft now. It's a lot cheaper and a heck of a lot of fun. If ya want a Spyder I'll sell ya one for $50 shipped. It comes with a longer barrel for better accuracy too (along with the one that originally came with it). Just send me a PM.

Well, after countless hours of research and talking to other people I know who play, I narrowed my choices down to a Spyder VS1 or a Tippmann 98 Custom Pro. Both seem to be quality, affordable markers. Then, after several more hours of research and talking to a couple more people, I ended up deciding on the Tippmann.

I'm so OCD it's ridiculous. I can't ever buy anything over a hundred dollars without researching the crap out of it first. It took me three days of relentless research before I bought my ipod a couple years ago. Sad, I know. :)

Not going until sometime in April, but I'll be sure to let you guys know how badly I get mauled when it's all over.

Venom,

Can I toss out a different idea?

Not buying anything.

Paintball used to be my game of choice. One of my close friends was even on the National's team.

That being said, the sport is an investment... And since you've never played before you might be more interested in renting.

Every field I've ever been to offers

-Marker

-500 Balls

-Field Pass

-Mask

For $40.

All things considered it's not a bad deal since you need to buy their balls and field pass anyways.

Obviously the markers you rent aren't the best, but you don't need to worry about CO2 or O-Rings and stuff.

Personally I didn't start buying all my equipment until I was sure I would use it enough.

Just something to think about.