UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

GIJOE Mates?

Since DST is getting some type of Star Wars and Indiana Jones license from hasbro there has to be a possibilty of GIJOE getting some and its the GIJOE vs Cobra 25th anniversary!!!!

I would buy Joe-mates before StarWars and i like them both almost the sam :mellow:

Long Answer:

As many of you know, GI Joe: Real American Hero toys were conceived after the 12" Joe figures became outdated, and the market trended to smaller Star Wars-type figures. (Mego would likewise dump their popular 8" cloth dolls in favor of smaller figures in popular licenses like Star Trek, Black Hole*, Dukes of Hazard, M*A*S*H, Buck Rogers)

The GI Joe cartoon series, which was the basis for the 3.75" characters from the 80's and their present-day counterparts, as well as Transformers, M.a.s.k., He-Man, Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony and numerous other franchises, were predominantly created to merchandise toys. The Joe comic line was likewise inspired by the the re-introduction of the toy line.

In fact, TV stations often paid little or nothing for this type of programming. Cheap/free after-school and weekend programming was a bonus for the stations and the toy manufacturers would benefit in toy and merchandise sales. In essence, the cartoons were little more than 20 minute commercials interspersed with other advertisements. This is why new characters and vehicles appeared as toys and in the programming almost simultaneously.

Hasbro, as a toy manufacturer and merchandiser only hands out the licenses to manufacturers that clearly do not overlap into their toy world such as busts, resin and other media that are well outside of their own production and marketing scope. Star Wars & Indiana Jones, on the other hand, were intellectual properties that took the form of motion pictures. Since Lucas is not in the toy business, he doles out his usage licenses as he sees fit, without any particular conflict for his core business (making movies), so long as he makes money.

Considering the GI Joe stories were created by a toy company to advance the sales of their toy line, I couldn't foresee them allowing a competitor to steal their thunder or cut into their market share.

If Hasbro were done with the GI Joe line and was ready to retire production, I could see it as a means to milk the residual life out of the license. But since they are capitalizing on the anniversary and introducing new character sculpts, with better articulation, It's my belief that they'll keep articulated action figures to themselves for now.

Short Answer:

Don't hold your breath

*Don't ask me how they managed to pry that license out of Disney's hands