UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

2 Questions - Modelling & Decal Program

jimgb

hey all

thanks for all the help folks.

ive been trying to source supplies to try my hand at customizing some minis.

seems supplies are VERY sparce around here... making it really difficult.... trying to find substitutes causes a lot more error and expense... if you can weight in on two questions it would be appreciated.

1-- Scupley vs Milliput --- ok, i understand Scupley requires baking and Milliput is airdry direct onto the figure if you want. I like the milliput idea, but it's not here.... i will have to order from the UK. Is it worth it? How do folks bake sculpey onto the Mini without affecting the mini plastic? (example, if i want to build a mask part or arm that requires building around the mini part itself? This isn't a problem with Milliput, but is Milliput as mouldable, and worth the hassle? (oh, and there's different milliput, expensive superfine white, black, cheap yellow/grey)

2-- So, I've decided it just isnt worth trying to get decal paper for the time being.... I plan to try with simple white label sticker paper... i have access to laser printers too... i understand to spray seal the paper etc...BUT.... software to actually design the faces and decals..... I don't have ANYTHING on my computer and buying Illustrator etc is NOT a consideration. I looked "briefly" into something called Gimp, but what i found requires you to search all over the places for various files to compile on your computer, and then it only looks like a photo enhancement program, not something to create the faces or manipulate something you might import from the internet.... Anyone ????

Thank you again for any assist.

Jim

Jim!

Alrighty, here's my two cents>

1. My vote is for sculpy, rather than milliput. lol but there's a story with it. The only milliput I've bought was the wrong kind, a plumbing version, that ended up being stronger than steel, and smelly as all get out. It seriously stunk so bad when I was sanding it, I threw the figure I was working on away. lol So no on milliput from me.

The best kind to get is a two part putty mixture. i can't remember the name off hand, and I suddenly can't find it, but there is a real good one out there. With the part mixtures (milliput too!) you are not going to need to heat them at all, an hour or two of air drying and you're good to go. (about 12 hours for milliput to dry)

I'll update when I rememer the name. I found it in a comicbook store in Monterey Ca, and had only read about it on action figure customizing websites before that.

2. Decals: When you figure this one out let me know! lol I Have a series of threads asking about sticker/decals. The designs are out there though. Hunt around in the custom section, inperticular TBT!'s customs use stickers most of the time, if I'm no mistaken.

hey Zombie, can ya elaborate a little... green stuff leaves much to the imagination -- especially in the middle of cold season, hahaha --- do you mean green milliput?

thanks

jim

I recommend the Green Stuff by Games Workshop. Antacost knows more about decals than I.