UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What is wrong with these figures?

Customizer

It's like they're stuck between block figures and regular figures, and the result is a bizarrely proportioned, detailed figure. If they would have held back on some of the sculpting, that could have worked, or if they pushed the proportions a little bit more (like a larger head maybe), that could have worked. As it is, they just look like a mistake; the legs are too sort and the chest is too wide.

It's like they're stuck between block figures and regular figures, and the result is a bizarrely proportioned, detailed figure. If they would have held back on some of the sculpting, that could have worked, or if they pushed the proportions a little bit more (like a larger head maybe), that could have worked. As it is, they just look like a mistake; the legs are too sort and the chest is too wide.

Thats one of the problem areas i noticed as well...the chest/shoulders. It completely alters what could have been an almost "realistic" figure sculpt (at this scale). The wide shoulders with upper torso with the ball jointed shoulders just make me shake my head in frustration. SO close...yet so far.

The security guard / cop i actually like. Sandman...i dislike more than i like but the lower body has redeeming qualities. The Venom is atrocious in every way.

You mentioned a larger head ? As in attempting to make it more cartoony looking in order to offset the unbalanced proportions?

Before i forget...are these figures marketed as "block figures"? If they are then , yes, they are WAAAAY off the mark but if not..

Before i forget...are these figures marketed as "block figures"? If they are then , yes, they are WAAAAY off the mark but if not..

Only in relation to the products they're packaged with. They aren't 'block figures' in the traditonal Kubrick/Minimate sense of the word. A more accurate description would be 'mini-fig' as most LEGO figures are referred to.

You mentioned a larger head ? As in attempting to make it more cartoony looking in order to offset the unbalanced proportions?

Yeah, if they want to stick with the short limbs and odd chest, and go for a more block figure sort of look. That or lengthen the legs and fix the chest, and go for the mini action figure look. As it is, in the middle of those, I just don't care for most of them.

These mega-bloks guys are just knock-offs of the lego mini-figs - unfortunatley the articulation & level of detail doesn't work while trying to keep the scale and compatibility of the Lego brand. As a result, they have the oddly proportioned chest and small legs that is typical of all the rest of the mega-bloks licenses and themes like their "Pyrates", knights and the POTC sets. The detail and faces are also overly complex and end up looking sloppy.

I think there may be a couple reasons:

The disproportionate shape is a result of trying to force too much detail and articulation into a lego-compatible scale.

The disproportionate look and super-detail may be a means of avoiding any type of copyright infringement from our fine Danish friends at Lego Corporate by adopting a totally unique body shape and look that doesn't resemble the Lego Minifigs, except in size..