UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Proportions of a minimate?

So im comparing a minimate to another figure thats the same height (actually the mate is taller by 1 or 2 mm's). I notice that despite the figures being the same height the legs of the non minimate were "longer" or "taller". Meh..no biggie..mates have their own look going for them and it works.

But then i started to notice the arms. Now..ive never noticed it before but something now seems "off". Are the arms to long for mates or are the legs to short? An average persons arms hang to about mid thigh and the mates arms seem to end closer to the knee's. Are the lower legs to short?

I know..im paying WAY to much attention to a small figure but now that my curiosities been piqued.....

I once looked into this when trying to figure what scale MiniMates are. Using the very general "8 heads" rule of thumb, 'Mate bodies are actually very well proportioned. But their heads are too big. Based on the body size, a MiniMate head should only be about 6mm tall, when they are in fact 10mm. This gives them the general proportions of a 5-year-old. Except that their adult-proportioned arms and legs are a bit too long for a child that age.

Based on their body alone, 'Mates scale is about 1:37. Using that scale makes them look freakish, because their heads look too big. In my experience, any size of toy can be mixed together, as long as their heads are the same size. Gotta be some human perception thing. If you base scale on a 'Mate's head, they run 1:22. Of course, you won't find either of those scales in the toy or model aisles. 1:32 seems to be a pretty good compromise.

I'd say that the thighs are probably a tad "too" short on the Minimate body, given that the femur is the longest bone in the human body. But, that's no criticism of Minimates - the Minimate body design is clearly the pinnacle of human artistic achievement. Our society is downhill from here, folks!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I believe the femur is the issue myself (along with the head issue). If the heads were the same size as cbecker mentioned i probably wouldnt have noticed.

I always thought that the disproportionate shape and "caricature" representations made them unique.

Agreed. This doesnt change anything for me. The figures still have a magic about them but based upon measurements if i want "more to scale / real looking 2'' figures" ill have to head swap/transplant. That wont happen to often.

The look on cyclops face is mesmerizing enough to over look its big head lol.