UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Quality Upgrade?

Mate-iac

Has anyone else noticed that upcoming series in the Marvel line seem to be catching up with the superior DC line?

The first set available that shows clues of this is the Zombies 2-pack of Giant-Man and Daredevil. They're fully painted, like the DC mates, allowing for much brighter color, and the ball joints on the legs have more articulation, like DC. The Daredevil mate also has a large amount of detail, like painted on hair. He also has a peg to hold his mask in place (like all the DC mates have), and Giant-Man has the painted on "underwear" lines like DC's. Future releases show this trend continuing, like Valkyrie's cape being a repainted Superman's, Ultron's accessories, and the vast array of entirely new pieces.

At last! The great Marvel line refuses to be inferior any longer! :biggrin:

Has anyone else noticed that upcoming series in the Marvel line seem to be catching up with the superior DC line?

The first set available that shows clues of this is the Zombies 2-pack of Giant-Man and Daredevil. They're fully painted, like the DC mates, allowing for much brighter color, and the ball joints on the legs have more articulation, like DC. The Daredevil mate also has a large amount of detail, like painted on hair. He also has a peg to hold his mask in place (like all the DC mates have), and Giant-Man has the painted on "underwear" lines like DC's. Future releases show this trend continuing, like Valkyrie's cape being a repainted Superman's, Ultron's accessories, and the vast array of entirely new pieces.

At last! The great Marvel line refuses to be inferior any longer! :biggrin:

i beleive that dc has saved minimates, think about it, we faced that HUGE minimate drought, then we get dc, we then get the high quality spiderman 3 minimates announcement, waves 1,2,3 and 4 of dc sells out, and sells strongly, then all of a sudden we get bombardments of marvel, and every other liscence you can think of! so in the end, thanks dc for feeding our addiction until we explode!!!!!!

I'm thinking they changed factories again and this probable helped insure that the quality came back to the Mates. Considering that AA's under DST's business umbrella now, I can't help but feel this is a win, win situation for both companies. I'm praying that when the license comes up for renegotiating that DST is able to increase the scale on certain characters and give us some of the bigger characters. Of course I realize that I'll receive some backlash on this, since some of you don't consider those to be true Minimates. But let's all remember, the Minimates all started out at 3" and as long as it's consistent with the design of the Minimates, it's a Minimate.

Ive never had a marvel breakage, but dc wave 1 lanterns arm? gone. dr fates knee? gone. I had to use the freezer trick the 1st 3 waves to be safe, since all 3 waves came out so fast they didnt give themselves enough time for quality control. I have hear of plenty of other peoples marvel figs breaking. and the hair for giant size storm? I should never have taken it off. It wont go back on to save my life.

I do like where marvel is going with detail, and all these other lines are giving us civilian fodder. I did hear from the series 19 and 20 announcement on DST's site that they are going to up the accessories. So that should get interesting if they actually do it.

I definatley think that the Marvel mates have lifted their game as of the Avengers wave, but its only natural as a series moves forward they should improve. We can all only hope that the continue that trend.

The last two waves that I've picked up (Battlestar & Trek) are of excellent quality. They're easily on par with the DC Mates. It's plain to see that Marvel is catching on with all the new parts as well as the broad selection of characters they're going to be putting out. Visions cape alone will allow for all sorts of new characters (Brother Voodoo 'mate anybody?). Things are looking up!

DC brought me back into collecting minimates, to me they just had better paint, details, accessories, quallity, and character selection then what came before. I've pre-ordered all of DC's sets and haven't received a bad Mate in the bunch, no breakage, no paint slop.

I'm looking forward to seeing what new inovations DC can come up with and to seeing improved Marvel-mates...it's a pretty good time to be collecting.

Back on the subject of DC Quality-Control, I'll add my 2 cents...

I too had a Robin who's leg broke off at the knee straight out of the package.

I had a Power Girl who had both legs painted as if they were her right leg (so her left leg's underpants line went the wrong direction) I realize this is something I could have seen before opening her, but frakly it was such a small detail that I didn't notice until she was open and I played with her.

And, I returned the afformentioned Robin, I ALMOST had a faulty Penguin in the replacement set... I almost flipped because I realized right after opening him that his left arm was a right arm... but then I further realized that his right arm was a left arm... so a double-problem managed to correct itself in that case... heh...

Anyway, ever since then, I've made sure to open every set of mates I buy in the car immediately after buying them, instead of when I get home, 'cause I'm sick of having to spend an extra hour going to the store and back for returns. (If they even have more in stock... if they don't, I have to wait 2 weeks for them to order more.)

Where are you guys getting your mates from?! I've never had knee breakage before. The only actual broken one I've come across is my Sentry variant. He came with the ball joints on the crotch piece snapped off. On a variant no less!

A little blue paint, an airbrush, and an extra crotch piece took care of that, though. Phew!