UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Paint and styrene advice

2 issues I came across yesterday that I could use some advice on.

1. Some of my painting is turning out really well, black detail lines with a .2 mm micron pen has been cool. But when trying to paint fine lines when I need a color other than black, I have problems. Im using miniature detail paint brushes, like for tabletop games, reaper minis, etc. I get the tiniest of paint on my tiny brush and try and drag a tiny thin line and it looks like a mess. It looks like the paint has dryed on the brush already before I got to finish my line. If you look at my new 90's GR you can see a little of this on the blue detail lines on his jacket. How is everyone else doing these fine lines?

2. Sheet styrene. Hobbyist have been telling me about this stuff for years and Ive finally bought some. A little heat and I should be able to shape it, fold it around minimates for robes and other 3d parts. Im supposed to be able to manipulate it in a way that I can turn a flat piece of plastic into a billowing capes. But its not working. Ive tried scalding hot water from the coffee machine at work, and its worked on other minimate parts I needed to manipulate, and I dont have a heat gun. Anyone else here use this stuff? What needs to happen here to make this stuff succumb to my will?

Here's a 3rd. For sculpting, I've been trying to sculpt parts that are removable so that I keep an interchangeable aesthetic for my mates. Keeping this up is difficult, sometimes it would be easier to sculpt right onto a mate (I've only done this once). I'd like to know how others do this. Some customs are obviously sculpted together, but when I can I'd like to make removable parts.

And a 4th, speaking of sculpting, I tried to add length to an existing coat using apoxie sculpt, so the apoxie was on the bottom of the coat and since it was so squishy it kept folding inwards, obviously this was very upsetting. Am I supposed to wait for it to get harder before trying to use it? The apoxie sculpt that is.