UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Attention Ghostbusters Fans! No, it's not about the 3rd movie.

Jeff

Not sure how many of you here are board game/card game fans, but I do know several of you are Ghostbusters fans. I'm a big YES to both.

Anyway, I recently started brainstorming on my new idea for a card game that uses elements from Memory, Guillotine, and High Noon Saloon to name a few. Scroll to the bottom of this link for images and my latest ideas if you're interested- I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10941981#10941981

While I've never played a game like this, judging by your link it looks like you've put a whole lot of time and ought into this. I especially dig the idea you have for the "readings" on ghosts and the neat art that you chose for it as well as the backs of cards. :thumbsup:

The back of the cards is actually from the PKE toy from the 80's. I just traced it in illustrator. While I never owned it as a kid, I made my own out of constructs. Man, I miss those toys.

I really wanted to capture the spirit (heh) of the cartoon show and movie- but also make it a fast playing card game that didn't get bogged down with too many rules and game pieces. Essentially, you'll have 10 ghosts laid out in front of you with the PKE back. You'll then have the option of playing ghostbuster equipment cards from your hand to 'read' what type of ghost it is and then decide if you want to attack that ghost or shoot blindly (turning over a different ghost card on the board). Each ghost has a defense to meet or exceed to defeat it (by playing Proton pack cards), a slime value which does damage to you, and a star value which is the points you earn for capturing it. This is the main currency of the game. The player who earns the most points after all the ghosts are captured is the winner. So just because you capture the most ghosts doesn't necessarily mean you are the winner- point are tallied at the end of the game so it's really anyone's guess as to who will be the victor. I also added groupings of ghosts so if you capture each ghost in the category, you'll get a bonus (this idea was borrowed from the card game Gullotine). As a "oh no" card I added in Death, who not only can't be captured by the ghostbusters but steals one of your captured ghosts from your hand at random. :) Looking to add special abilities and event cards as well (using phrases from the movie like: "Nice shootin' tex!" and "symetrical book stacking" to name a few), but need to get the base game play completed first before I get carried away....too late. :lol:

I found a great artist- Dapper Dan on deviant art who does the artwork for the IDW comic series. He's drawn almost every ghost from the toy line to cartoon to the two movies and even some from the recent Atari game. That was one of the biggest hurdles I had with the game- getting artwork. I own the complete series on DVD and was planning to take screenshots and then apply an outline effect in photoshop but the process was going to take forever. Dan's work is exactly what I was looking for.

I don't plan to sell this game or put it up on kickstarter as I clearly don't own the rights to either the property or Dan's work. I'm doing this purely as a fan and want to share with others (for free). When I finish, I'm going to post a play thru here and offer the pdf up for anyone interested- as well as sending a version to Dan.

Stay tuned!

Edited by Jeff

Very cool! Like Mystery Man I have never played a game like this, but this is interesting, and your designs are great.

As for the back of the card, I recognized it instantly! I still have that PKE meter, been thinking about butchering it to make a cool PKE for Halloween.