UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Outer Space Men

Has anyone else picked these up? They're pretty terrific. I won't go too far into the backstory – basically they're a creator-owned license of eccentric space guys from the 70's, which the Four Horsemen recreated and sell as their own exclusives. They're very simple, with 5 POA just like vintage action figures, but are built around Onell Designs' Glyos system (if you're familiar with those) of pop-and-plug joints, so you can mix and match pieces, which reminds me a lot of Xevoz. They have just the right combination of old-school 3 3/4" fun, art-toy quirkiness, and outstanding sculpting and production value from the Four Horsemen. The attention to detail and craftsmanship on them is gorgeous.

I got on the bandwagon late, missing the first wave back in 2010, but I got the second wave when it came out in January and was very impressed. Then, in the spring they announced a re-release the first wave with some minor deco tweaks. I just got mine over the weekend and can't stop playing with them. Wave 2 was cool, but I was blown away by this set!

This is one of those rare lines that I think would be appreciated by anyone who likes toys in general, but is especially appealing to guys who could go out into their parents' backyard and probably still dig up some old buried Star Wars and Super Powers figs. Nervous, I'm looking at you. :thumbsup:

AFAIK, you can only pick them up on the Store Horsemen site, but they're probably on ebay, too.

Edited by Lobsterman

I love these guys! Being a fan of retro and tin space toys and robots I've been on the band wagon since wave 1. I've skipped the con exclusive "phasing" translucent releases but love the fully painted ones. Did you see their display from SDCC this year at the AFX booth? The female astronaut is beautiful! Had a great little chat with Cornboy from the Four Horsemen about them, lot's of love for the line from those guys.

Mattel had a vintage Major Matt Nelson (the original space toy line that Outer Space Men admittedly ripped off in the 60's) toy display in their booth this year as well. Toyguru said it was just there to gauge interest. Hoping since their tight with the Four Horsemen that maybe it could become a revival line to compliment the OSM. Toyguru just smiled when I mentioned that idea.

They are a bit pricey form the perspective of having to buy a whole wave for $50 instead of cherry picking, but around $13 individually isn't much more than what we're paying for other figures in that scale these days. And the level of detail and quality on these far surpasses what Hasbro and Mattel are putting out.

Edited by Lobsterman

• 2 weeks later...

Thats good to know Lobsterman. I may pick up a few afterall. There are a couple that I really like.

Knowing what I do know of you, Shanester, I'm surprised you don't already have some of these. I own nearly all of them and heartily recommend the series. No need to get into the many variants, just stick with painted Infinity editions.

The scream 70's science fiction, the designs are quite imaginative and you can snap 'em apart and reconfigure them (this is where the addiction starts for me). Check out the last gallery pics here: http://www.itsalltrue.net/?p=16781&page=2

They have a joint system compatible with Onell's Glyos system, which opens up a universe of character building. http://www.glyos.com

Edited by Cappy

• 1 month later...

Geez... if anyone is thinking about trying these, now is a good time. 4H put up a sale over the weekend on their retail site, and these sets are going for 50% off. I really hope that doesn't bode ill for the future of the line, but these are well worth the price at under $7 each!