UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Custom Scooby Doo board game- Need your help

Jeff

Tossing around the idea of making a custom Scooby-Doo board game that's actually fun and stays true to the source material. I'm basing it more on the latest cartoon, Mystery Inc. where Fred is obsessed with traps, Velma and Shaggy are an item, and we actually see their parents. The last two won't be involved in gameplay, just wanted to give you an idea about the series if you haven't caught it yet. I was able to pick up some great looking pawns from a vending machine and it quickly lead to me brainstorming ideas.

Gameplay would include:

-Villain/Monster chasing the heroes

-Heroes discover clues to reveal the true identity of the monster

-Heroes set traps that back fire, but ultimately capture him/her.

-Getting cowardly Scooby to help out by way of Scooby Snacks

Using the board and tweaking the rules from Kill Doctor Lucky (can't think of a better mansion to use, love the artwork) I've adjusted the game as such:

-Players still play Room Cards, moving the monster or themselves to that room. The Monster (doctor lucky) moves in the same fashion in KDL, following the number order of the rooms.

-Failure Cards are now Escape cards to be played by the monster when he enters a room with a trap. Any player who has a Escape card in their hand must play it to remove/disarm the trap. This way every player gets to be the monster, not just one.

-Weapon Cards are now Trap cards (as created by Fred) that when played, a character can take a spite token (now a trap disc) and place it in the room they are in. Limit of one trap per room, no traps on stairs or hallways

-Move Cards are now Jinkies! or Clue cards (undecided on name) that when drawn are placed in front of a player to show they have discovered a clue and are one step closer to revealing "who he REALLY is" just like on the show. This will either be a pile of money, a deed to a property, a piece of cloth or four sections of a face that when put together show the human's face. Based on the Incredible Hulk game from the 70's with finding a cure for Banner. Or it could be both.

As for the line of sight gameplay, Character's DON'T want to be seen by the monster. As in keeping with the show, if Scooby and the gang see the monster they run away back to the Piaza where the mystery machine van is parked. If the monster manages to scare out all of the players, he wins or if after his identity is revealed and he isn't captured he/she escapes and also wins. The players goal is to set a trap in a room and have the monster move into that room, setting off the trap. However as mentioned earlier, Players will also be playing the monster and disarming the traps by playing failure/escape cards. A player must have all the jinkies/clue card and have successfully trapped the monster to win.

That's what I have so far. Thoughts?

My advice is check out www.boardgamegeeks.com. Those guys are as serious about games as we are about Minimates. I think Scooby would be cool as a simplified Arkhan Horror type game. Cooperative gameplay, player inventory, exploration... Assistance cards like Don Knotts give you a flashlight roll again or Cass Elliott finds a box of Scooby Snacks gain a courage tolken, Scrappy cant shut up Monster gets a free move... Im not a mechanics kind of guy so I cant be of too much help. Fury of Dracula could be another cool template. Each character having their own merits and flaws. One player is the "monster" who moves about the board unseen secretly leaving behind traps for the Scooby Gang to disarm... Sounds like youre on to something. I'd like to see what you come up with. My one bit of advice is go with the classic "Scooby Doo Where Are You?" No need to bog down the characters with relationships and parents.