UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Fatcow's Attempt at customs with a newborn baby in the house...

fatcow

Hey guys! So we had my son on Dec 1st and I decided it was a great time to start customizing. I chose the wrong paints ( just regular acrylic, not model ones and didn't seal anything ) but this is what I have so far...I kind of like the homemade feel to it, should I seal it? If so with what?

Used X-Men First Class Xavier and Sebastian Shaw head combined with decals that someone ( will go back and check your name and post it here ) very generously made for me out of a CUbeeCraft design...didn't want to spend 30 on a Hal Jordan on eBay so I made my own!

WP_000005.jpg

Awesome!

I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to shell out that kind of $ on a Hal Jordan :lol:

I think with the customizing versatility of minimates figures it enables you to make your own, you've chosen nicely with the parts on this custom, the only snag i would say it looks like the hands have molded to the arms through the paint? unless that is just the angle of the picture? you might of been better painting the removable hands seperately?

Other than that he is awesome, i like the head decal it looks spot on, i would suggest sealing it, but i am unsure what product to use, i'd imagine that would be best answered by one of the more senior customizers on the forum.

Nicely done mate! :)

Rich

ey man, Nice job on this. I can undersdtand your situation, I ave a 2 1/2 yr old, and it is no coincidence that for most of the last few years in my custom thread there may be 2 or 3 finished customs. (up until the last month or so :biggrin: )

having said that, I would suggest a spray sealer. I use one with a matte finish, you will be surprised at how well it balances out the color, and evens out a lot of the brush strokes. I think it makes a big difference on mine anyway, lol. my only tip with it, shake it up really well, or you may get a wite powderlike substance that spits out. Hope this helps.

I'm in with Nervous. I used to customize mates yrs ago my custom thread's long buried. I've got a 3 yr old and 18 month old so I know what you're talking about. I wish I had time for 1/4 of the things I'd like to do.

That was me that made the decals. :biggrin: It's funny, because I used that mask to make a Weather Wizard decal, and I was surprised at first to see him, having forgotten I'd also used it for the GL decal. So I was surprised to see my Weather Wizard head on a Green Lantern body. :biggrin:

Anyway, he looks great! I started customizing around the time my daughter was born (she's four now) so I can relate. As for paints and sealants, I personally am not a fan of sealants, as I've never had good luck with them. I would strongly recommend investing in some paints for models and miniatures, as my own work got much, much better once I made that switch.

Decals look great~!

I use regular Apple Barrel acrylic paint from Michaels. About 79 cent a bottle. The trick is smooth thin coats letting each on dry before puitting on the next. I do 3 thin layers of each color. If you need to thin it even more a small amount of water on the brush will help. Great start! good luck!

O I do seal it with Spray Dullcoate from micheals too, definately shake it, the white powder of death stinks!

Edited by moo2172

Grats on the baby!. I know where you're coming from. My son just turned ten months. He stared taking his first steps a fewweeks ago and now he's running all over. Sometimes you need a break and I findcustomizing very relaxing. Hal looks awesome by the way. As for paint, I use Citadelacrylic paints commonly used for miniatures. The key to smooth paint ispriming. Always prime before you put any color on. And like moo2172 said don'tgo heavy... I also use a little tape to mask areas off so I get a clean line. Inever use sealer (except on the decal sheets but I've switched to stickersanyway...). Once I finish a figure it goes on display so I don't worry aboutthe paint rubbing off. I've had a few customs rattling around in the old pretzeljar for a while now and they show no signs of paint loss so I think you canskip the sealer all together.

Edited by Rheul