UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Reformatting a laptop

IIRC, many of the people on this board work with computers for a living and/or are very knowledgeable about technical matters, so to the tech-savvy folks here, I have a question: How does one go about reformatting a laptop (I have a Toshiba Satellite A665)? I heard that it requires a CD of some kind, but mine didn't come with one. Is it possible to reformat without a CD, and if so, how? Thanks in advance.

Before I (or someone else) goes further into it, why do you need/want to?

Laptops are notorious for using bizzare drivers for some of the hardware, and I really recommend it only as a last resort if you're not 100% sure in your abilities

Laptops are notorious for using bizzare drivers for some of the hardware, and I really recommend it only as a last resort if you're not 100% sure in your abilities

It's been very slow lately. It's driving me a little crazy.

It's been very slow lately. It's driving me a little crazy.

I don't really know how to reformat a laptop,but I recommend to delete big files that you don't need first;to see if the programs are the problems

Do you have recovery disks? If you do those will format your system and reinstall the factory image

Alternatively there may be a built in recovery partition... when you turn on your computer hit f9 or f10 and that may bring up toshibas recovery utility which would allow you to format the drive

You are my hero. If I ever meet you in person, I'm buying you a sandwich, or something. :)

Do you have recovery disks? If you do those will format your system and reinstall the factory image

Alternatively there may be a built in recovery partition... when you turn on your computer hit f9 or f10 and that may bring up toshibas recovery utility which would allow you to format the drive

I'll try that. Thanks! I hope I can return the favor sometime.