UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DST Q & A #4 Answers

Shanester

Minimate Multiverse DST Q & A #4 - 8/23/07

Maxcarnage asks:

1) I was wondering why the movie mates (X-Men 3, Spiderman 3, Ghost Rider) were released so far after the movies came out?

DSTChuck: Between the time we could get the refrence and the figures could be sculpted as well as tooled it took WAY too long!

2) What will the merger of AA into DST mean for Minimates? Will it mean that we will see more lines? Will it be easier for Minimates to acquire more lines?

DSTChuck: It should mean both as long as sales are there. It means AA gets to do what they do best and DST gets to do what they do best…

3) We all know Spiderman is your favorite character, but which Spiderman is your favorite Minimate?

DSTChuck: I think I’m still a sucker for the plain old classic red and blue…. My son loves Batman and Superman BTW. Some would say that’s revenge for doing so many Spidey MM..

Fujis asks:

1) This question might have answered itself by the time you are answering it but is the Target Spider-Man wave going to be released soon? I've heard rumors of it being cancelled...

DSTChuck: As long as we can help it no MM is ever dead!

2) I saw Micheal Leavey interviewed by Natasha Eloi at the International Toy Fair on tv - any chance you guys will do more television spots/commercials in the future?

DSTChuck: While TV ads are a bit out of our reach, we’ll do pretty much anything to promte the line where we can!

3) Since DST has acquired AA does AA still exist? The forum is still up and blurbs abut new Minimates still say "sculpted by Art Asylum". Will AA remain a name only referring to your in-house designers or are you all Diamond Select Toys now?

DSTChuck: AA still exist they have staff and an office in NY, as far as I can see the name and logo will still be a part of the MM line.

4) Along that line, did you guys take on the Speed Racer and Kellogg's licenses?

DSTChuck: Sorry no Speed was not part of the deal and the Kelloggs license was someone’s elses AA was just doing designs etc for them.

5) Can you walk us through the Minimate design process in a little more detail? I'm not looking for you to reveal your secrets, I'm just curious to know the stages a Minimate goes through from the first meeting you guys have, through the revisions, and to the shelves.

DSTChuck: Beer, darts and more beer – why isn’t that how all toys are made?

6) We've heard stories about the internet recruitment of artists by toy companies in the past. One of our own, Barry Bradfiled, was hired as a freelance designer by AA (and I assume he works for you now). Has DST scouted and recruited anyone from the fan base?

DSTChuck: We’re SUCH a small staff here I don’t think we’ve even added a position in over a year, maybe more..

Mini Myte asks:

Could you shed some light for us folk "not in the business" on how a toy company goes about acquiring a particular license? Could you shed some light on how different "sizing" licenses work? (DC is 2”+, but Marvel isn’t) Say by some miracle DST wanted to make 2.5" Marvel Minimates, would it ever be possible?

DSTChuck: When your lucky enough to get a license all the things you can’t do are listing out in a very exacting fashion so there is not “sneaking” things by.

cdubya asks:

How long do you foresee the BSG line/license going?

DSTChuck: Sorry but DST does not give out the terms of our licenses BUT as logn as the product sells and Universal will have us – we’ll keep going. Everyone here loves the show.

Separate yet somewhat related: Any new news on incorporating "classic BSG" into the near-future releases?

DSTChuck: We’ve certainly not given up on getting these out there.

pickle asks:

1) Does the licenses for shows like BSG also cover the "expanded universe" of the show? (comics, books, video games?)

DSTChuck: While I just discussed we don’t give out specific information on our licenses I will say these are NOT included.

2) Every now and then the guys at AA seem to try new things for Minimates (i.e. C3 playsets and the Minimates max line). Is there anything "experimental" like these on the horizon?

DSTChuck: Not right now…Maybe we’ve learned our lesson.

Heatwave asks:

1 - With the merger, will we see Buffy and Angel mini-mates?

DSTChuck: The merger will not have an affect on if we do or don’t do these, we could have done them at anytime before. We’re just not sure if the support needed will be there.

2 - Future thoughts, are there any thoughts on acquiring the rights to the Bond movies or the Xena Warrior Princess TV series? I just think there would be some awesome Minimates with all the villains and girls from Bond and all the mythical creatures and characters from Xena.

DSTChuck: Honestly I LOVE the Bond movies – so I can tell you we already checked.

Trekker 42 asks:

Will there ever be a villains wave of Minimates?

DSTChuck: As of now we don’t have any special waves of villains planned.

With the up and coming Iron Man movie, will we see some enemies for our favorite tin can?

DSTChuck: Nothing special is planned as of NOW for the movie or movie related but that could change based on retailer request.

Will Star Trek wave four enter into the Next Generation?

DSTChuck: No it will not but TNG and the other series are NOT going to be ignored we’ve got stuff underway already.

you will forget asks:

Will DST have any input into the DC Minimates now that they own Art Asylum?

DSTChuck: Nope DC controls all aspects of that program.

Now that a zombie Giant Man and Wasp (kinda) are coming out, are we likely to see still-living versions?

DSTChuck: One has nothing to do with the other and right now neither are planned.

Have you made the Wasp already and she's just too small to see?

DSTChuck: Umm yea that’s exactly what we did – look closely you’ll see her.

Will we see more Ultimate versions of characters?

DSTChuck: Right now we don’t have anything in the works for Ultimates.

TM2 Dinobot asks:

1) Any chance of more Indy-Mates like Invincible? What about cross-license packs like Wolverine vs Witchblade?

DSTChuck: I don’t think so the first Indy one did not meet our expectations.

2) Is there any way you can get the GI Joe license? Blackmail works wonders.

DSTChuck: We’ve asked several times for now its something they are not interested in.

3) There's been a lot of movie waves in the Marvel wave. Do those generally sell as well as regular "comic book" waves?

DSTChuck: In most cases (except GR) the movie stuff on average does better.

Skull buster asks:

1. During the NY toy fair we saw that there was a Minimate poster for the silence of the lambs. Has there been any plans for making them into Minimates or was it just a poster?

DSTChuck: MOST of the posters we shower were at LEAST possible and SOL was one that is very possible.

TBT! asks:

Are you going to fix the upside down viper patch from series 1 Minimate flight suits for Boomer in Series 2?

DSTChuck: Series 2 is already in stores and series 3 will be VERY close by the time you read this. Look at it in a mirror and you’ll be happy.

Matt: Actually since Boomer wears a Raptor patch, this question would seem not to apply ;)

rodbender875 asks:

With some new pvc's and an Inara statue coming out is there any interest in Firefly/Serenity Minimates?

DSTChuck: We keep trying but there is very limited interest overall in that property.

Dan asks:

Hi, my question is Has DST ever tried to get part of the Star Wars license from Hasbro?

DSTChuck: Technicly you would deal with Lucas Hasbro is a competitor and yes we’ve spoken to Lucas people a number of times on a variety of different ideas. Maybe someday we’ll work out something.

Arnim Zola asks:

I was wondering why there are not more boxsets! I can understand doing more repaints in a set like the Spider-Man set, but it seems like a great way to get out more characters. Might we see more team-based sets like the Defenders?

DSTChuck: As I’m sure you have seen your dream has come true – NEXT?

Is a box of zombie Fantastic four possible is the regular zombie box sells well?

DSTChuck: Sorry but we’re done with Zombie merchandise – we had a very small window we were allowed to exploit.

Lantern returns asks:

Will Movie Ghost Rider still happen?

DSTChuck: I’m really trying!

According to the website 19 and 20 will ship later this year, can I believe this?

DSTChuck: If it slips at all it will be to early 08 the 19&20 waves are moving so far along at a good rate of speed!

Are you able to share parts with DCD, like say the bows and arrows for Green Arrow and Hawkeye or are they different bows?

DSTChuck: We COULD but its not really worth it for small parts like that.

Shanester asks:

How did Matt REALLY get that cast on his leg? :P

DSTChuck: I kicked him in the shin after he told one of you at SD all our plans for 08…