UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Mass Effect

neolego

So, I bought my Summer of Arcade games and was looking at my left over points trying to decide what to buy and I'm really leaning toward Mass Effect from Games on Demand. I have enough points for it, so that is not an issue. What is an issue is just how much fun I'll have with the game. So, I thought I'd ask you guys. There was never a Demo released so I've never played the game. The only thing that I really know about BioWare is what I played in KotOR, and I didn't like it. I know that I'm in the minority and I really am a Star Wars fan, but I could never get into the combat of KotOR. I didn't like having to slow down and pick your attacks and not have full control over the fighting. I never played Jade Empire for that reason and I honestly skipped over Mass Effect for the same reason. However, it's $20 now on GoD and it did get really good reviews so I'm tempted to pick it up, but again with not having a demo I don't want to pay for something that I'm going to hate.

Anyway, I was wondering what your guys impressions of the game are and if you could try to relate it to another game that I may be more familar with.

neo

The big difference between the KOTOR games and Mass Effect is that the combat is real time rather than turn based. It actually took me a bit of getting used to as I loved the turn based KOTOR stuff.

It's about dialogue and playing a character so if you aren't into the RPG aspects then you won't get as much out of it. As you can probably tell, I love Mass Effect although I'm sure you can find it cheaper as a disc version than getting it from Games On Demand.

I agree with Danny.

At first when you said you didn't like KOTOR, my reaction was "The you won't like MAss Effect." Then I saw your reason, and well it's true Mass Effect's combat is real time. Unless you have any other problems with KOTOR, you should like it.

Sounds good. I loved KotOR other than combat. And I really tried to play it, I put about 4 hours into it but could just never get the appeal. If KotOR was Real Time like, I dunno, LEGO Star Wars but with the RPG elements I would have been extatic. So, if Mass Effect is anything like that, I guess I'll have to pick it up.

As for Disc vs. GoD. I actually prefer downloadable content over discs. Sure, I could probably get the game for $12 to $15 used, but I would rather pay the $20 and have it on my Hard Drive. Honestly, this is a feature I've wanted from day one. A little off topic, but I wish you could just burn your games to your HDD and be able to play WITHOUT the disc. I know you'd have to have some way to police it, but that's what I'd rather see. If they decided to just release all new games on GoD, I would be more than happy to download them.......of course, I'd new a bigger (cheaper) HDD then!

neo