UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wireless router advice needed...

The_Donster

Hey gang, its your ever lovin', technically clueless Donster coming at your with a question on wireless routers. I posted this in the games thread, but everyone is excited about Smash Bros. at the moment :P So I thought I'd try here and see if anyone has in thoughts. My wife and I recently picked up the D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router at Costco when we replaced my 360. Question is, does anyone have this and can you recommend it or something else? I read on CNet and this tested very well, but it was around $115.00(That's 2 games I could be playing according to my wife) when all was said and done and I only need it for playing Xbox Live from time to time without kicking the wife off of the computer :lol: I'm also wondering if I should go wireless or just straight ethernet router too? I had heard that the wireless has a tendency to kick you off from time to time. Anywho, any assistance on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I can't comment on that specific model, but if your physical arrangement of equipment allows you to use an ethernet cable, I'd go with that. Even the best wireless signal will drop out from time to time.

Unless I move the computer back upstairs, it isn't the best option Soylent, but I appreciate the advise. I'm definitely taking back the more expensive router. It just seems to be more than what we need, since all we have is the computer and 360. I'm going to go with the $60.00 Linsky wireless model I think. But I won't worry about it until I get the piece for the 360 and then I'll make my final decision. Who knows, it might be easier to just run a ethernet wire down the wall to the computer station. Anyway, appreciate you giving me your advice. It would seem that the forum has lost most of it's techie guys recently. Me, I'm lucky I can type up on a message board :P

• 2 weeks later...

Wireless is fine as long as you set up WPA2 (encryption). It shouldn't be too hard to set up. Usually with all of these routers you go to https://192.168.1.1 in your web browser. Should be pretty straight forward on how to set it up. Also when you join in any major operating system it will ask for the password and you just save it. This way people don't leech off you.

Trust me, this is easy. If my sister, who can't even hook up her television, can do it. So can you.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier Don.

I've got a Netgear router - it's a Wireless-N model. It cost a little less than $90 after my Best Buy coupons. It covers my entire house. Probably more coverage than I need, but it was easy to set up and it'll support my pc, the Wii, all 5 Nintendo DS's, etc. on both the upstairs and downstairs levels.

Good luck with whatever you go with. LMK if you have trouble with it.