UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Priming -- Anyone help

jimgb

Hey

so im getting ready to paint my first mini!

im using acrylics.

i want to prime my piece first, but i dont need a complete paint, only parts.

i dont know what to use...

I bought a spray can of basic flat white primer that primes, seals various items including plastics for painting.

also, I bought a small brush on bottle of Multi-purpose Sealer, semi-clear tole-paint type that says use as a basecoat or for "adhesion properties" over slick materials like plastics. Add equal acrylic paint for color.

Thoughts?

If one is better than the other, or one completely wrong etc... i want to be able to return it before i try it out, if anyone has experience with this?

thanks kindly for any helps.

jim

Jim,

I recommend specialty hobby store primer rather than the stuff for plastics from the hardware store. Hobby primer puts on a thinner coat and works wonderfully with Minimates. I tried the hardware stuff and ruined a Minimate. I don't know what you have, so let me know what you use and how it goes.

I use a spray primer to seal after painting. Never tried the stuff you are using. Let me know how it goes.

-JP

Jim-

Most important! Wash your minimate before painting! If I forget, and don't wash the fig, the paint is messed up by even the smallest amount of oil/crud. All of a sudden you'll see the paint avoid one certain area and bead up away from it. That'd be my advie for priming.

As for sealent, I gree with the above advice. I haven't used sealer, and unless you actually chew on your minimates, good paint with out sealent won't chip off that badly. But if you want a pro look by all means seal those puppies up!

Good luck and steady hands!