UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Few questions about sculptey

Ok... I know I saw this info somewhere here or MMHQ, but I didnt bookmark it, and now I cant find it again.

Whats a good time/temperture to cook scupltey if it is on a Mate and cant be removed while soft?

Also, can scupltey be painted once hardened?

On a different note... anyone suggest a place where I can get some milliput online... none of my local retailers stock it.

Joe

I think the easiest way to work with sculpey is to boil it. Put the sculpey on the piece and drop it into boiling water for like 30 seconds and then let it harden. I just think its easier then worrying about putting plastic in the oven or something else.

In my experience it keeps its shape despit being moved by the boiling water. Usually I just throw it into the freezer afterwards and cool it (altho this could cause cracking I guess if it was alot of sculpey).

Ok thanks... so far, I have been successful using a desk lamp to harden my sculptey... though it took the better part of a full day to harden the entire piece.

Anyone have any luck painting scupltey once it has hardened?

The piece I made was the hat for my Gandalf the Grey in my tarot card (also attached here again). But all I had was black sculptey. I changed the color and saturation in Photoshop just like I did for Gandalf's clothes and beard. Though Im actually working on making this a real custom (working on his staff now... hence why Im looking for Milliput). But I dont know how well paint will work on the sculptey. Anyone ever try to paint it?

Joe

post-1674-1185767730_thumb.jpg