UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Custom parts.

Lee

I'm wondering how other customizers going about making their own scratch built custom parts. I use foil wrapped around whatever body part I'm making something for and I put the sculpey onto that. Unfortunately the foil moves around 75% and is unusable while most of the other time the piece bends while baking it so the foil doesn't support it, so I'm looking for a better way.

I use a variety of air-drying sculpting materials, although I don't know their names off-hand (although they should be mentioned in my own thread).

I also cover my pieces before I sculpt onto them, but instead of foil I just use ordinary paper. If the procedure is done correctly it just comes off the head, leaving the sculpted hair.

I've heard that if you blow-dry the Sculpy (or whatever you prefer to use) and then place it in the oven, it comes out fine. I also reccomend going to art supply stores and talking to the store assistants. They can be very helpful.

Now, if you're thinking about painting or decaling, you should probably use Brasso (toothpaste with the mini breathmints is another approach, no joke!) on the part you want to paint/decal over. This removes any fine detailing that might show up through the paint. Just take a small peice of paper towel and rub it gently over the piece. Rubbing too hard or for too long causes the piece to dissolve after a while (depending on the plastic)

Hope that helps! :)

Glomit